Ayrshire.. UK

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Ayrshire.. UK

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
Just wondering if there are any other Monkey coders, from Ayrshire, or the immediate surroundings, including Glasgow of course.

So if your in the area, pop in and say hi.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nope, but I was in Largs a few weeks ago!

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#3]
Im a little further north east in Aberdeen

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Aberdeen aint that far really , close enough for a meetup at least.

John McCubbin(Posted 2012) [#5]
Saltcoats here which is like Largs only better cause it's not Largs :P

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
Larges does have that arcade tho.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#7]
sorry, I'm a few hundres miles further south (Midlands). All the best anyhow.

John McCubbin(Posted 2012) [#8]
We got arcades in Saltcoats too, used to have one of the best round the shore when I was a lad :P

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yeah Irvine has always sucked for Arcades, I sware if I ever win the lottery I'm gona open a real Arcade, and not just some hall full of fruit machines, like most Arcades are these days.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#10]
Been to Saltcoats as well, and Stevenston and Ardrossan. Not recently though, probably 1999 or thereabouts.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#11]
1999 ?, trying to think if that might have been for one of the big concerts.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#12]
im very very very very far south in Brighton :S

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#13]
lol yeah little south there edz. cool that your still in the UK tho.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#14]
Think the only bit thats more south is cornwall way lol

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#15]
I'm moving back to the UK later in the year and I'll be in Dorset. I hope to arrange some indie meetups for people that are prepared to travel to a central location.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#16]
I'm moving back to the UK later in the year

For good? O_o

I thought you were pretty settled in Canada?

@Taiphoz - might be a bit for me to travel to your place (living in South Australia, moved from the UK to Oz in 2004) ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#17]
Therevills , I almost did the same a year or so ago, the wife got done with her Midwifery Degree and started scouting moves to OZ for a job, but things with family came up and held us back.

To be honest given the net speeds they get in OZ, im happy to be staying in the UK :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#18]
To be honest given the net speeds they get in OZ, im happy to be staying in the UK :)

Really depends on where you are in Oz. I'm on an ADSL2+ 14Mbit connection, but could get 100Mbit cable if I wanted to pay Tel$tra... and hopefully the NBN will be around this area in a couple of years too.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#19]
I thought there would have been more people in the area, if your from Glasgow be sure to raise your voice..

I am toying with the idea of trying to start a little once a month meetup, probably in Glasgow, with a simple plan, meetup, visit borders/pub depending on age of people who turn up, and talk games,code,art what ever happens to be current at the time.

Would be worth it I think if we can manage at least 4 or 5 people, any fewer might not be worth the hassle.

so come on all you shy types, post a reply .

therevills(Posted 2012) [#20]
Just wondering what net connection do you have Taiphoz?

There's less than 600 forum users on here currently, but hopefully you will get a small group turning up :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
My current speed is 50 meg a second, but its going upto 100 meg soon. I am fortunate that my ISP's HQ is 2 miles down the road from my house and I am phiber from my back door, to their exchange.

The original company went bust putting in miles and miles of dedicated cabling, which sucked for them , but was good for us customers :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#22]
Oh and yeah, I think I will ask in the ludumdare irc channel as well, in case there are any hanging out in there.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#23]
Yeah I'm moving back for good due to many reasons including family stuff. My Internet connection will get worse for sure, from about 20Mbps to 6Mbps

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#24]
Mind if I ask why you moved to Canada in the first place? was it through your indie games , or did you just feel like a change.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#25]
Several reasons: Firsly, my wife and I were getting fed up with UK weather :-) and we had discussed moving somewhere nicer for a few months at a time (she is a freelance writer so also works at home). Then Big Fish Games offered me a job in Vancvouer after I had done some good work as a contractor for them. Now I know Vancouver isn't better weather than the UK but because of our discussions about trying out living in other places it meant we were open to moving over here and trying it out. Originally I was planning to stay for 18-24 months but I stayed at BFG for 2 years then quit and went indie. Since being indie I've had a great time here, made lots of friends, seen more of the area etc. but now it's time to move back after nearly 4 years here.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#26]
ah cool.. hope it all goes well for ya then.