Linux Targets

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Linux Targets

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi. I've been using the Android target to create apps for a kids education product I've been creating, but the lack of keyboard support is limiting the possibilities for the apps I can make available. I've heard that it is possible to make Monkey's GLFW target compatible with Linux and was wondering if there were any instructions to do this? I'd be looking at making apps run on Debian Linux.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hey Leon, do you have a BlitzMax license? If you do you can use MonkeyMax (a BlitzMax Monkey target) to run your apps on Linux ;)

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#3]
I do indeed. It needs to run on ARM though - as far as I know, BlitzMax only works on Linux for X86?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Ah there might be an issue there...

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#5]
You can check out the project here:

https://www.facebook.com/Playskills

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#6]
Have a look at how far I got with the Raspberry Pi, here.

Unfortunately, though it works, it's unaccelerated as the Pi needs some initialisation done using a custom library, and I haven't yet tried to hack GLFW to use the OpenGL context it creates, and have no idea if that'll work or not...

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#7]
Good work on getting something working. So is it that GLFW runs slow on the Raspberry Pi? Does USB joypad support work in it?

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#8]
Plain OpenGL isn't supported on the Pi, only GLES, but mojo can do GLES 1.1, hence GLFW works. However, all rendering is done via CPU, so it's very slow indeed. This will probably change when the Pi gets hardware-accelerated X drivers, but you can currently use the proprietary Broadcom library to get hardware-accelerated 3D. The tricky part is interfacing mojo/GLFW with it!

I just tried plugging my X360 gamepad into the Pi but I don't think it's being detected, as the light keeps flashing. I don't know enough to get it working, unfortunately. I know it's possible to use joysticks/gamepads but haven't really looked into it so far.

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#9]
What's te difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES? I know that the kids netbook I'm designing support OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0.

Would be great if the Android target had USB keyboard support - at least I'd know the code would work on the current configuration.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#10]
OpenGL ES 1.1 has LOADS of commands removed from standard OpenGL, it is primarily for mobile platforms from what I can gather.