Compiling directly to Windows like Blitzmax!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Compiling directly to Windows like Blitzmax!

rebelas(Posted 2012) [#1]
I love Blitzmax, now I love Monkey. All the improvements in the language (evolution from Blitzmax) are great.

What I wish Monkey was able to do is to do what Blitzmax does; I mean I would be able to compile to Windows, not to HTML 5. In this way, I could experience the performance of the program in final form, rather than in HTML 5 level or working toward other platforms. Although running in HTML 5 would help going for more efficient coding, but I still prefer experiencing my program in optimal form and be worry about optimization later. For example, the same map grid that I made for Blitzmax and run smoothly, runs slow in HTML 5 and make my work slower.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#2]
Compile to the GLFW target!

rebelas(Posted 2012) [#3]
I know, but having it directly is good for laziness. I will most likely do what you say.

rebelas(Posted 2012) [#4]
XNA is another option, and its language is as comfortable as Monkey. I usually write Apps and hobby games using C# and Xors3D.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#5]
Have you seen MonkeyMax? (A BlitzMax target for Monkey) ;)

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#6]
@rebelas: set up GLFW and XNA targets as per the Monkey docs. Then you can just build directly for either of those targets instead of HTML5. You don't have to use the HTML5 target if you don't want to!

rebelas(Posted 2012) [#7]
Oh man, I did, thanks DruggedBunny. I thought Monkey only generates codes for other platforms! Fantastic!

MonkeyMax?! I will try that too.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#8]
If you're already using BlitzMax, I think MonkeyMax is your best bet. It will compile much faster than the other exe-based targets, and won't require you to install Visual Studio/MinGW/etc.