Monkey Book - Discount Codes [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey Book - Discount Codes [MONKEY NEWS]

simonh(Posted 2012) [#1]

Packt Publishing are offering discount codes for a limited time for Monkey Coder users wishing to buy 'Monkey Game Development: Beginner's Guide Book' by Michael Hartlef.

To purchase Print books - MKY2PRNT
To purchase Electronic books - MNKY3EBK

These discount codes expire on 31st October 2012. While making the purchase, you'll have to enter these codes in the "Enter Promotional Code" box and click on the Add Promotional Code button to activate the discount.

Buy 'Monkey Game Development: Beginner's Guide Book'

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
And I wonder why I didn't got that info. Go figure. But great to see!

Raz(Posted 2012) [#3]
How much is the code worth Simon?

simonh(Posted 2012) [#4]
20% off.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#5]
Nice one, just bought it :)

JD0(Posted 2012) [#6]
This book is in O'reilly Safari which is killer for dev books.

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#7]
Is the code syntax colored ?
Most of the time it's in pure black, I found this a little to sad in a tech book :(

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#8]
Nope, that is the format PacktPub chooses for their books.

But to have everything colored... the book would cost 400 USD in print. Or did you ment that certain syntax would be printed with a bold font and stuff like that?

MaxPower(Posted 2012) [#9]
Is available on Kobo for £14.51.Just bought it.

DIJ(Posted 2012) [#10]
I've got the kindle version but I really wanted the PDF version for more flexibility. I'm trying to buy the Ebook and physical book bundle from Packt and it won't let me buy them.
Not sure if it's my card or something else.
Is there anywhere else that offers the print and pdf for sale?

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2012) [#11]
The book is excellent. arrived today. Looking forward to working through all the examples

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hi,

Good book, I have made the first mini project "Pongo", but there is a lot of typo errors in the code in the book (for this project at the moment, I don't finish the book yet).

I don't use the code embeded with the book, I write my own following instructions, and I found some typo errors that made the code wrong (some "(" missing, or line of code missing are examples).

but it's a good job :) May be it will be cool to make an "errata".

Example page 47 :

We know now that a collision happened. We will determine where the ball hit the
enemy paddle and change its Y speed accordingly. Of course, we will inverse its X
speed first.
If ((bY - eY[ep]) > 7) Then bdY = 1.5
If ((bY - eY[ep]) < -7) Then bdY = -1.5
If ((bY - eY[ep]) <= 7) And ((bY - eY[ep])>= -7
Then bdY= 0

this line :

bdX *= -1

is missing.

Page 46

Next, we want to check where it hit the paddle exactly. In the top area, the ball
should bounce upwards. In the lower area, it should bounce downwards. And in
the middle, it should bounce back straight. At the end, we will close the former
If check.
If ((bY - pY) > 7) Then bdY = 1.5
If ((bY - pY) < -7) Then bdY = -1.5
If ((bY - pY) <= 7) And ((bY - pY) >= -7 Then bdY = 0
Endif

a ")" is missing on the last line, it should be :

If ((bY - pY) <= 7) And ((bY - pY) >= -7 ) Then bdY = 0

Page 49

Depending on who has more points, we will inform the player who won the game.
For this, we will check if ePoints is equal to or greater than 10.
If ePoint >= 10 Then

a "s" is missing to "ePoint". The strict mode doesn't like it ;)

Page 48

If modeMEssage = 0 Then

should be "modeMessage"....

etc...

I'm not an expert so I hope there is less in the following chapters :D

Soap(Posted 2012) [#13]
I got this book for a friend to learn Monkey. Lots of typos in the book, and many of the projects included in the source won't compile without being edited. I guess this helps him learn more, but still.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#14]
Thanks DarkyCrystal. You know you can send corrections to Packtpub too. But I will let them know.

Soap, I just know of two games that had problems since Version 58 as there the parser catches some errors which it overlooked in older versions and it still ran fine. It would be nice of you to let me know where things don't run. Thank you.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#15]
It looks like there is a sale, I don't remember the book being this cheap. $30 USD for the physical book and an instant e-book download. I nabbed it and eagerly await my Monkey book.

Mike, if I find some problems/typos with it do I let you know or Packt publishing ? And will they correct the e-book version quickly?

Thanks.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#16]
Hi tiresius,

thank your for your purchase. Please let Packt know and if you can, me too. I want to make a separate Errata on my website. How fast they will correct it? Will they ever correct it? I don't know. I have no influence on it.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#17]
I found more than one error in the ebook and I told Packt about them.
I did it more than ones and in my last mail I said they must either send me a new version of the book or pay me back. The payed me back instead of sending a new version of the ebook.

Its a shame cause its a really good book with good examples.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#18]
Maybe the reason for the sale is them trying to dump existing inventory?

Tri|Ga|De perhaps send Mike Hart all your fixes for his Errata page to get it started.

Mike Hart, I'll definitely send stuff your way and Packt Publishing when I find it. An e-book should be easy to fix for them (I thought that was the point of providing e-books). If they don't have plans to at least fix the e-book then that would be a shame.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#19]
Just got it in the mail, looks great. Looking forward to picking through it and exploring the fantomEngine.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#20]
If you have any question, the most organized way is to post them in my forum. TriHaDe does that too.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#21]
Bought this book a couple of days ago. Well worth the money. Learnt a lot from it and would highly recommend it.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#22]
Agreed. I bought it a couple of months back, and whilst theres good info here in the forums, and in the wiki/ docs, the book is a worthwhile addition. And theres something good about supporting a monkey book author..

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#23]
Thank you guys, that made my day. :-)

Hotshot(Posted 2012) [#24]
Bought it on My Ipad and going read it :)

killergp123(Posted 2012) [#25]
Just started with Monkey 2 days ago and bought the license yesterday. Buying this today as it looks like a nice addition to start off, thanks!

Uncle(Posted 2013) [#26]
Hi Mike,

My niece has the option of using Monkey for her college project next year. I wanted to buy your book to start her off. I just wanted to know if the examples in the book work with the latest version of monkey or do you suggest a specific monkey version to be safe?

Thanks,

Andrew

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#27]
Hi Andrew, long time no see/hear :-)

I have submitted Monkey v70 compatible code to pack and it should be compatible. But you should get the full fantomEngine installation from good code, as I am not sure if I had included the Box2D and JSON installation too.

Is she an absolute beginner? Then the book won't help her much. Also I didn't got enough pages to teach Monkey in it, the focus is more on how I would create certain games. A lot of people like the book, some not.

To bad you didn't got it when it was for free.