Noob question

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Noob question

MaxPower(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi
I have downloaded everything in the docs in the SDK section.
Which is a bit of a swizz.As on the monkey home page write once deploy on many.Which is a lie,they don`t tell you on the home page extra downloads may be required.Nah im pissed i feel i have just wasted £100
on somthing that lines other peoples pockets.

BTW if i dont have an internet at home im fugged.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#2]
which platform are you most interested in making games for?

you can get your game working on html5 first and then deploy for that platform.

You only have to download the additional stuff once so its the same as downloading monkey

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#3]

i feel i have just wasted £100 on somthing that lines other peoples pockets.

That's not fair. if you really think it's that bad then contact BRL and ask for a refund.I don't think they have ever denied it before.

I don't think there is a perfect system and if you are going to cry at the first sing of trouble then maybe you need to find some other system that baby sits.

Before I buy anything I usually do my research and never dive head first. saying that, For what Monkey does it's a damn good deal. it just takes a bit of work on your part. Sometimes it frustrating as its not as simple as one might want but it does get easier with use.

BTW if i dont have an internet at home im fugged.

have you thought about asking questions before making conclusions. If you are talking about the docs, you can set the IDE settings to access them from with in the file and not the internet, of course the internet has the latest version and is why its set that way.

This is a great community and there are a lot of helpful programmers here that can answer your questions and help you resolve issues.

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#4]
As on the monkey home page write once deploy on many.Which is a lie,they don`t tell you on the home page extra downloads may be required.
First part is true. Monkey is flexible enough to create software for many platforms you can even add additional platforms if you know how to go about it. So it isn't a lie, but your right about the second part, more information needs to be added to the about page explaining that addition Software Development Kits (giving links) are required and the for developing software that is targeted for Apple devices and Windows Phone/XBOX360 will also require you to sign up to the Apple developer site and XNA App Hub which will require you to pay a fee if you wish to deploy to those devices.

Otherwise monkey is very good at what it does.

matty(Posted 2012) [#5]
Monkey tells you in the demo (read the getting started section) what is required to deploy to other platforms.

Also - I have no internet connection at home and have no problem creating android apps for example...downloaded the sdk at work (with boss' permission) and use offline...no problems.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#6]
Uhm... what's wrong with downloading the free(!) SDKs?

Why do you even thing it's wasted money? $120 is much too less for such a powerful language. (well ok, ok, Mark please don't listen to that! *g*)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
Monkey tells you in the demo (read the getting started section)

Or even check the online wiki:
http://blitz-wiki.appspot.com/Installing_target_SDKs

BTW I feel that the wiki link should be somewhere on this site (easy to find)...

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#8]
Aren't you a little quick judging like that?
Or were you looking for a big red button that's labeled "Make me money NOW!!"

BTW I feel that the wiki link should be somewhere on this site (easy to find)...

Maybe right there.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
Maybe right there.

Exactly where I was thinking ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#10]
I saw that picture and then wasted 5 minutes messing with the theme cos I thought I was missing the link LOL>

DOH!.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#11]
Isn't it showing for you Taiphoz? It's showing here.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
oh man dont do that to me...

Raz(Posted 2012) [#13]
haha sorry :D

GfK(Posted 2012) [#14]
[edit] *parp*

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#15]
I was pretty frustrated when exposed to Monkey for the first time, and yes, some details are lacking. But be patient! When it all comes together you don't need to mess with it afterwards.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#16]
I saw that picture and then wasted 5 minutes messing with the theme cos I thought I was missing the link LOL>

DOH!.

^^
Edited for clarity.

MaxPower(Posted 2012) [#17]
Sorry all i was a bit quick to jump the gun,but the nearly extra gig of downloads i had to do got my goat a bit.Especially because im on a limited download usage.
Been playing with Monkey all day and it really is one nice piece of kit.
Mr Sibly does it again well done guy.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#18]
Glad you stuck with it!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#19]
If I am honest I recall the exact same thing wound me up, the demo only using html5 does not really indicate that in any really noticeable way that you then also need all these extra SDK's.

So when I finally got Monkey I also recall feeling a bit annoyed , specially considering I had problems getting the sdk's to actually work.

Best thing to do, is what I did, take a deep breath then as calm as you can, come and ask for help, these forums are amazing and full of people that are skilled and know their way around not only monkey but the tool sets around it, and whats even better is that they are always happy to lend a hand and offer up their knowledge.

So take it easy, take a breath then simply ask for help.

matty(Posted 2012) [#20]
I never knew there was a wiki...

therevills(Posted 2012) [#21]
Well its not really a wiki open to anyone, it is used for the official Monkey docs...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#22]
yeah I wish it was open then it would at least get populated with code and information faster.