buying artwork

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/buying artwork

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#1]
I inquired about purchasing some clipart online the other day all i wanted was some small images about 65x65 for a match 3 type game.The price at iclipart is $13 for each image and i require about 8 which translates to $104.
Would i be better getting in touch with an indie artist where i can get exactly what i want and would it be cheaper.Has anyone any experience with this as ive never bought any artwork before and if so does anyone recommend anybody.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#2]
$13 per image seems like quite a lot to me (but I am just basing that on opinion and no actual experience).

How many graphics sites have you looked around?

Anything of use here - http://graphicriver.net/ ?

MonkeyPig(Posted 2012) [#3]
I think you could probably hire someone for a little less - but not a lot. Why not try a site like elance.com. You can put your job out to tender and you'll get what you want (and own it) - even point the chosen contractor to the images you like as reference.

MonkeyPig(Posted 2012) [#4]
Just thought of an alternative - maybe cheaper maybe not.

Unity has a rather nice Asset Store. You may find something there that you like.

I think you need to have Unity installed to be able to browse the asset store though...

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#5]
cheers for the feedback guys

benmc(Posted 2012) [#6]
Where are you buying clip-art for $13 a shot for a commercial product with mass distribution?

Usually when I find clip-art and other art online that I want to put in a commercial game it's WAY more than $13 per image.

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#7]
i sent an email to iclipart.com and for up to 100 clipart

raster=$13
vector=$18

and over 100 images

raster=$10
vector=$15

i did state to them it was for apps and told them the sizes as well

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#8]
I haven't used him, but I noticed this post on the indiegamer forums: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?29561-2d-game-assets-for-sale.

His button collections for $15 are a pretty good deal and it might be worth contacting him. If he hasn't got some things already to go he might still be interested in creating some objects for you. Seeing as he's already selling non-exclusive packs, if you're willing to give him permission to resell the graphics he might do a good price for you on those terms.

On your general question it's difficult to give a price as it all depends on the art style and the artist in question. A while back I put an ad on oDesk and sent some feeler emails out to a few people with ads on forums and deviant art. The request was for a couple of art-style test background images and two small game objects. I had quotes from $50 to $500.

At the low end there were a few chancers with no portfolio but also one or two with real experience. At the high end was a talented but not very experienced artist who (perhaps because of the lack of experience) refused to understand the idea of a style test and insisted that he would be doing finished production quality pixel art that would take him a week or more. Finding the right person for your game and budget can take a while.