Playstation ?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Playstation ?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#1]
So it seems there will be a Playstation development for "Playstation certified devices" (though from the looks of it, the playstation 3 isn't classed as one of these devices).

I've not tried it yet, but from the looks of it, it's like XNA, but for playstation, so potentially a target consideration for Monkey?

http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/index_e.html

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#2]
Playstation certified devices seem to be mobile android devices mostly.

The fact that they have a simulator makes it quite likely a target will happen (unofficial target)
Will the SDK cost money?

pantson(Posted 2012) [#3]
after the open beta period (length unknown) the PSS store will cost $99 to release games (like Apple app store)

An official target would really make Monkey stand out from the crowds more.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#4]
I recall a while back someone on here got a Nintendo DS target working (even without an official SDK), so a Playstation target should be possible now with an official SDK.

Aman(Posted 2012) [#5]
Edit: Double post

Aman(Posted 2012) [#6]
It is going to be easy to make a target although I doubt that it will be needed. Even their SDK looks like Eclipse:

It looks like your android source code will be converted to work with PS Vita. For some reason, I cannot download the emulator (PlayStationŽSuite Development Assistant)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
Just downloaded and installed the Playstation Suite SDK. Looks pretty solid and straight forward so far, been playing with some of the sample programs.

BTW, Aman the "Playstation Development Assistant" can only be installed on the PS Vita itself (you have to access that page using the Vita Web Browser app and install from there). The actual PC Vita emulator comes installed with the Playstation Suite SDK.

I definitely can see this being another potential Monkey target.

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hi,

I've been playing with this today, and a Monkey target is very definitely doable.

> It looks like your android source code will be converted to work with PS Vita.

I don't recall that being mentioned in the docs anywhere (at home right now) - can anyone confirm this?

I thought the point was that pss games could run on Vita and/or Android, not that you could run Android games on Vita (ala Blackberry).

MonkeyPig(Posted 2012) [#9]
From my reading (quick skim) of the docs the pss tools create a dual binary - one for Android devices and one for Vita. So... Vita does not run Android Apps.

"...and a Monkey target is very definitely doable."

Does that mean - you'll be adding it as a target or are you just observing that it is doable? :)

It would be very desirable if pss/Vita was part of the official Monkey package.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#10]
I've been playing with this today, and a Monkey target is very definitely doable.

This is great news Mark :)!!

I don't recall that being mentioned in the docs anywhere (at home right now) - can anyone confirm this?

I'll give this a try when i get home later.

MaxPower(Posted 2012) [#11]
The PSs license is going to change once it is out of Beta,so don't get to excited.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#12]
Uhh yeah...that was clearly stated even before the open beta was released.