I took the plunge!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/I took the plunge!

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#1]
After several months of lurking, and following very interesting threads on this forum, I've taken the plunge and purchased Monkey. Good things ahead hopefully! Apologies in advance if I post "noob" style questions..

My game coding to date has all been in C (using Allegro), but the temptation of write once, run on multiple platforms was just too tempting!

So greetings to all other Monkey coders, and a big "hi" to all Monkey folk in the UK (if there are any).

Silentshark

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Welcome SilentShark :)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#3]
C... noooooooooooooooo!
Welcome. :)

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#4]
Cheers, guys, I'm pretty happy so far - got things building to html5, glfw and flash already.

Now.. if I could compile something up for my Samsung Galaxy S2, that would be sweet (and it should be possible)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#5]
Welcome silentshark :) I'm UK based too! Where abouts in the UK are you based? I'm near Bristol, small city called Bath. I moved to monkey for very similar reasons as well, the idea of writing once and having the apps on multiple markets sounded too good to miss out on. Very nice to have such a friendly and helpful community too; lots of people sharing and working on interesting projects!

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#6]
I'm up in the midlands, near Rugby. I've been to Bath before, a very nice part of the UK to live in. The forum seems friendly and peaceful, too, which is somewhat of a rarity these days :-) Long may this continue..

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
if I could compile something up for my Samsung Galaxy S2, that would be sweet (and it should be possible)
It is :) http://blitz-wiki.appspot.com/The_Android_target

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#8]
@ziggy, thanks, been busy downloading.. how nice to get such a warm welcome to the growing monkey community!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#9]
Welcome, from up in Dundee... I'm sure you'll soon have the S2 up and running, but remember to play with build folder/android/config.txt to get things just right!

Aman(Posted 2012) [#10]
Don't worry. It is very easy for a C coder to learn Monkey. & Welcome to the world of monkeys

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#11]
@aman, thanks, so far so good, nice to try something different to C.. Not hit any barriers yet.

@druggedbunny hope all is good in Dundee - suspect it's freezing at the mo' -it is here!

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#12]
I'm from UK, living in Hampshire. Monkey is pretty cool! Enjoy!

Patch(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yep also UK and also in Hampshire :)

Started off prototyping ideas in Monkey, with a view to implementing them in C/C++ might just stick with Monkey now, performance is great!

therevills(Posted 2012) [#14]
I'm from the UK too (Sheffield)........ but living in Australia ;)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#15]
I'm from the UK too (Sheffield)........ but living in Australia ;)

Omg I am very jealous! I almost went to Australia last year but got hit by a car and shattered my pelvis. Hoping to go sometime in the not too distant future! Bet your enjoying it? :)