Licensing apps created by monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Licensing apps created by monkey

Aman(Posted 2012) [#1]
Monkey is opensource but mojo is not. This means that we cannot redistribute mojo source code. But parts of mojo code exist in the apps generated by monkey. What does this means in terms of licensing our apps? Is it okay for a monkey user to create an open source app and release its source to the public?

benmc(Posted 2012) [#2]
I was wondering the same thing because I want to use Monkey for the upcoming Ludum Dare and they want source code. I was planning on just sharing the code that I write in Monkey that would be compatible with the free version so others would just have to download Monkey, load up my source, and compile. But I wouldn't be releasing the Mojo code - just the stuff I write.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#3]
For an open source Monkey app you would share the Monkey code you write and its the same for the Ludum Dare. You wouldnt give them the generated code, its like compiling Java and giving them the bytecode afterwards...

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you're not using mojo at all, you can also give them the trans and Monkey source code (as it is Public Domain as clearly specified in the sources). If you do it this way, the whole "package" will be self-contained and this could give Monkey a bit of exposure wich is something good for everyone here.