Any interest in an a free, app banner exchange?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Any interest in an a free, app banner exchange?

po.(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey guys,

I know a lot of you are using the likes of AdMob and other platforms to serve up ads in your iPhone and Android games, but I'm wondering if a service like this would be of interest to any of you:

http://tapfortap.com (check out the video on the page for more info)

I work for them, we just started, and are aiming for a release within a couple of weeks. While AdMob and others are more focused on generating revenue, Tap for Tap is focused on generating more users. Implementation into Monkey projects will be almost identical to implementing AdMob. To start, only Android and iPhone will be supported.

Since we are just starting out and since it's a service targeted at developers, any and all comments and criticism are appreciated!

benmc(Posted 2012) [#2]
How will you be making money on this? Where's the catch - so to speak.

po.(Posted 2012) [#3]
Each ad 'unit' consists of two actual ads, side by side. One for advertising apps on the network and the other for a sponsored ad. At the start we'll be using the sponsored ad part to push more apps on the network until it gets going, but once it does, any revenue we make will be from the sponsored ads. I should also note that there will be no annoying/in-your-face ads, ie. no animation.

EDIT: you can see how the ads look in these android images (not a game but it works the same):

https://lh4.ggpht.com/TsS9jx-7GevWkOU0UixkwMNNK1tmdOj2eoWcR_jVKoXZrVPY4wLobzJ2ejXVEdVRUNr8

https://lh5.ggpht.com/lBxLlCjwrD6wdupMYnrr_yOQADPQLvqSPqBnkiDBp4LPfzdjHaeoMruKMP9HoLSTLw

Difference(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'm interested in this, but more so in an add service that lets med decide who/what kind of adds can run in my app.

Do you have any plans for adding a "filter" for that kind of approach?

po.(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yes actually, right from the get-go you'll have the ability to advertise in the categories you'd like, as well as the ability to choose which categories can be shown in your app. You can track your earn/spend in the backend.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#6]
So is the sponsored ad a revenue sharing space like AdMob where we get a few pennies if that ad is clicked as well?

If so, it really seems like great "best of both worlds" type of ad system. I signed up and am quite interested.

po.(Posted 2012) [#7]
Cool, benmc, you'll receive an email in a week or two letting you know you can login.

As of now, the sponsored ad revenue will not be shared, but we're not dismissing any ideas at this point. We want to make this company work and we can't do that without the developers on board so it's certainly something we're considering for the future. Right now, the purpose of the service will be to grow your userbase.

EDIT:
That being said, I'm sure a timed ad rotator could be implemented that would rotate between Tap for Tap and something like AdMob, so you get a mix of more users and revenue.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#8]
Well, I see 1 of 2 things happening if there isn't a revenue sharing option for the sponsored ads:

1) I won't sign-up at all because I don't want to lose my ad revenue - especially for my already established games.

2) Once I get to a couple thousand new users with this system, I'll switch back to AdMob.

It's just that at some critical mass, a game can self-sustain its own downloads and I would have no interest in earning money for your company if I'm getting downloads of my game on my own and no share of the ad-click revenue.

I would love to show ads for fellow game developers, but if I'm not getting any kickback from the other ads after my game has "made it", for me, I would have to switch to another ad provider, there's really no way around it unfortunately. It comes down to dollars and cents.

po.(Posted 2012) [#9]
A very valid point. We've talked about it and we acknowledged that we'll indeed have to implement a rev-share system. At the moment, for the beta at least, the focus will be on growing users for those who need it. Keep in mind that an ad rotator should be possible that can switch between Tap for Tap and Admob on a timer.

It will be interesting to see where this critical mass is, which I assume will greatly depend on the number of apps in the network.