Anyone have a Press Release service they like?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Anyone have a Press Release service they like?

benmc(Posted 2012) [#1]
Our game Scorched Monster passed review at Apple and I'm making it live on Thursday. Angry Birds Space comes out next week, so I want to be in the app store before millions head that way.

So, I want to get some publicity for the game before it comes out, and was wondering if anyone has a press release service they like, or has a way of submitting their press releases to review sites that works nicely.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
I can really recommend PrMac. They are very cheap but very good.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#3]
That's the second recommendation I've received for PrMac.com, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Gamepress might be worth a look

benmc(Posted 2012) [#5]
I looked at GamePress and have been trying to find someone who's used it because I can't tell if you have to pay their $120 / mo or not. They say you can email your assets, but then I'm not sure from there. I will probably email them directly too, but I usually like feedback from users to help make these decisions.

PRMac.com is probably what I'll use, they have a great interface.

charlie(Posted 2012) [#6]
Prmac and gamespress are both ok. Prmac is paid, but i've found it worth it for my stuff. Gamespress is free.

Cheers
Charlie

benmc(Posted 2012) [#7]
Awesome, I wasn't sure if GamePress wes free or not. They show how to email them the release, but didn't say anything about if there'd be a cost or not. Usually when something is free, the company makes a big point of saying it's free :)

secondgear(Posted 2012) [#8]
Has anybody really seen any financial benefit from doing a press release? Seems like a waste of money to me.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#9]
I used Gamespress in the past and it's OK but they're very anti-casual games, plus, your press release will very quickly get buried in a sea of AAA press releases.

That said it's free, and you'll generate a bit of site traffic if nothing else.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#10]
I'd like to get picked up by a few review sites ultimately, and any press is good press.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#11]
this might help..

http://dev.cruel-gaming.com/2011/12/13/interesating-talk-about-games-press/

I know I found it very interesting and plan to use a lot of the things he spoke about when it comes time for me to spread the word on Terminal 2.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#12]
@Taiphoz - I enjoyed the video. It has prompted me to update my press release a bit. It's kind-of like submitting a novel to a publisher. You have to get their full attention with one sentence, then you have permission to explain yourself.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yeah, it's actually something they the UNI i went to drummed into us really early on, was also fortunate to attend some nice talks by people from EA and other big studios who also commented on it.

It's always better to stick on your big headed over exaggeration massive ego hat for a few minutes, then describe your game in 1 line, then take the hat back off.

It dont matter to much if your a little over the top, as long as it gets the writers attention enough that he actually plays it for 5 minutes.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#14]
As an update, I ended up just emailing a well-formatted press release with screenshots attached to gamespress.com and the release seems to be making its rounds and getting posted all over the place.

It was free and worked just fine for what I was trying to do.