Maybe a stupid question, but scene builder?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Maybe a stupid question, but scene builder?

frank(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am creating a game which has been drawn in photoshop by a friend of mine; now i'm loading and placing images on by doing LoadImage + DrawImage trying to get the 'scene' in photoshop copied to monkey. This feels like I need something like a wysiwyg tile scene editor, but i'm not sure. The game has a ton of different sized images which need to fit exactly as drawn in PS => I cannot just squash the layers and import they entire image as a lot of parts of the screen will be changing/moving while some parts will stay the same.

Is there any editor you would advise to do this quicker than programming it by hand?

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#2]
My next little project is going to be tile based. I'm thinking of using Tile Studio and writing a custom .TSD file possibly exporting to .xml. Then it would be just a case reading the xml and converting it to some type of tile engine.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#3]
Try looking at DAME. It supports free positioning of "sprite" elements and allows you to write your own exporters if you need anything fancy.

If that's not a fit then it shouldn't be that hard to write your own editor if all you need to do is place some images.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#4]
Scope2D also has the ability to do this. Look in my sig

fsoft(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hi, have a look at Tiled, here http://www.mapeditor.org

It is free and works on all platforms.

fsoft(Posted 2012) [#6]
@Shinkiro1 ... is a Linux version available?

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#7]
Not at the moment.
I don't know when I get to a linux box next time.

fsoft(Posted 2012) [#8]
@Shinkiro1, do you need help porting to Linux? Maybe I can help.

If your editor is written in BlitzMax, I have that too :-)