Submitting Apps.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Submitting Apps.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
has anyone had problems submitting an app ?

Been sitting here for ages, trying to submit an app but the page is just sitting there doing nowt, well I assume its sending but given the speed of my connection it should have finished ages ago..

We really need some kinda progress bar or something.

As it stands right now 5 minutes in and im not even sure if its doing anything.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#2]
ok nearly an hour in and it's still sending.. how long does this normally take ?

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#3]
Not sure, I've had an app in review since the beginning of the week. Its still sat there waiting.... is it an automated process or manual? Seems like a manual one tbh.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
I also noticed something else very odd about how the system handles submissions so send a mail off to them about it.

I think each submission is manually checked, mine aint showed up in the My apps bit yet so still actually not sure if its worked or not.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#5]
check the "In Review" if there is nothing there than it didn't go through.

Fryman(Posted 2012) [#6]
ive found it usually takes about a week to get reviewed

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
well tried again and it says submission successful but does not appear in the app in review section.

so gona give up, its clearly broken..

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#8]
Yep, submissions are manually checked by mods -- sorry for the delay. I've published your app now, noOdle, so it should appear shortly!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#9]
DruggedBunny can you se mine, ? according to my account profile it reads 4 apps, even tho I cant see any and should only have 1.

okee(Posted 2012) [#10]
Here's me thinking you were talking about the apple app store :)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#11]
Yep, submissions are manually checked by mods -- sorry for the delay. I've published your app now, noOdle, so it should appear shortly!

No worries and thank you very much.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#12]
Don't forget to check the 'Hidden' section too - all apps are at first 'hidden' until they are shown by a moderator.

Only playable apps are shown in the 'in review' section.

Will have a look at this again soon to simplify things a bit.

Taiphoz - you submitted the same game multiple times, hence why it says four apps. It shouldn't count hidden apps though, will have to fix that.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#13]
@Taiphoz: No, it's not there for whatever reason. Going by what Jesse says, you should be able to see it in the Apps -> "In Review" section if successful. (I'm not sure because obviously I can see that anyway.)

Perhaps you could try with a different browser or from a different connection, just to see if you have any more joy?

I can see your profile shows 4 apps but I also see no actual apps, so I guess the site is updating its count before the upload completes. I'll drop Si (webmaster) an email just to highlight this...

[EDIT: No I won't, cos he's just posted!]

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#14]

It shouldn't count hidden apps though, will have to fix that.

It does as I have three applications in here and one is hidden. and my profile shows 3 submitted.

[edit ] fixed now.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#15]
OK, cleaned up the Apps section.

Apps are now shown straight away after being submitted, and are no longer hidden until they are shown by a moderator. Playable apps will still have to be reviewed before they can be played.

Renamed the Hidden section to Removed. Also, you can now remove your own apps (see 'Admin' section on left hand side of your app's info page).

Updated the apps news page so playable apps are shown on the left, non-playable on the right. Clicking a playable icon will take you straight to the playable app.

Cleaned up 'apps by a user' pages. Now two separate pages. One for all ('My Apps'), and one for playable only ('My Charts'). Both pages can also be accessed via a user's profile, where there is now an extra line to show the number of playable apps by a user.

Added 1-10 numbers to chart pages.

Think that's it for now. Any problems let me know.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#16]
Ah cool I see my app in there now, will now try and add my html5.zip with a bit of luck it will work.

thanks for all the help, will let you know how the zip submission goes.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#17]
I see one problem with the non playable applications. when an application fall of the top 10 list, the info page (the graphical page with the links and screen shots) is no longer accessible.

example:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/topics.php?forum=1001&app_id=1

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#18]
OK I tried to upload the html5.zip file again, its 18 meg , and I have a 50 meg internet connection my upload bandwidth is 5 meg a second and my current connection speed is spot on so this is not a speed issue.

Internet Explorer, fails.
Chrome , fails.
Firefox , fails.

not sure what I should do now.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#19]
Can you upload the file somewhere so I can download it, and then try uploading it myself?

Also when you say it fails, what happens?

simonh(Posted 2012) [#20]
Jesse - non-playable apps don't have a top 10 to fall out of! You've linked to a forum page - the info page is still accessible.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#21]

the info page is still accessible.

I don't see how.

Sorry. I can't figure it out.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#22]
simonh , mail will be incoming shortly with a url for the download.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#23]
e-mail sent.

As for the error, well in chrome it says Uploading (0%) at the bottom of the screen, and it never changes.

In firefox it just does its little page loading animation on the tab and sites there forever. same with ie.

I just uploaded my zip to my own web server and my upload speed was over a meg per second, and only took a few seconds, so even with a bad connection to new zeland if thats where their server is, it should still only take a minute or two. not the over an hour that I waited one time.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#24]
Simon, did you get my mail, not heard back from you and not seen any change with the app.

I left the up in upload for 6 hours today and the 0% went to 1% so it seems the upload speed for me is un-usable even though my speed to everything else is fast. :/

simonh(Posted 2012) [#25]
Yes, got your email - thanks. Will take a look later today.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#26]
Any progress, still do not see any change and the game is still not playable, I'm really not that bothered about this specific game just wana get this all smoothed out so when I come to add my other projects I dont have to go through all this mess.

It might be an idea to add an option to the page so that we can provide a url to the zip, you could then write a script that downloads the zip server to server.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#27]
Yes I tried uploading it but had no luck either, need to investigate further.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#28]
ah cool so not just me then, thanks for your help mate just give us a shout when you figure something out.

Pierrou(Posted 2016) [#29]
Hi !
I uploaded my HTML5 app along with the icon, screenshots, etc. a few days ago on monkey-x.com and at the moment the app is still listed as "non-playable" (which doesn't matter much, anyway). Is there something more I should do to switch to "playable"? Thanks!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#30]
That whole section is a bit iffy, best thing to do is tweet Mark or Brl and I'm sure one of the admins will take a peek at it for you, not really sure how active they are tbh.

Pierrou(Posted 2016) [#31]
You seem to be absolutely right thanks Paul...