I've got a problem with monkey...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/I've got a problem with monkey...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#1]
When I talk to people here (in Silicon Valley) regarding monkey, I tend to call it "monkey basic" but if you google that, you will get several different response queries, and the real product doesn't show up until page 3 or so.

Help me out guys, how should I phrase the product? Monkeycoder? monkey blitz? monkey from new zealand? monkey marky mark?

Whatever i say, that's how people will google it.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
I normally say "Blitz Monkey" and if you type that into Google you get:

Blitz Monkey

And this site is the 4th on the list...

(Sorry about the "Let me Google that for you" link, the normal Google URL didnt work with this forum)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#3]
"blitz monkey" I like thanks!

Soap(Posted 2012) [#4]
Might be useful to have an easier domain to say. Or just SEO Monkey more to this site... for me "Monkey" alone in Google is the 5-6th result so will probably become 1 naturally as more sites link in.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
It's a bit of a badly thought out name, when you put it like that. IF you search for "haxe", for example, that's exactly what you get.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#6]
"monkey programming" gets it as the first search term.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yeah, go with Gerry Quinn's answer. That's what I was going to put. It always shows up first on Google that way. Alternatively, add the word "language" into the end of that "Monkey Programming Language". Those will both get here as the first site.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#8]
Whats up with just calling it Monkey, I actually agree that its a bad name, but as people said to me when I brought this up a while ago, just look at ruby, java, pearl and the tons of other mental names for lanagauge..

Call it monkey.

I would never reffer to it as basic, there is nothing basic about monkey, appart from the debugger.

in fact I would say calling Monkey, Monkey Basic is an insult.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#9]
I call it Monkey Coder.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#10]
I wouldn't call it Monkey Basic, but Basic and Java are the two most obvious influences on syntax.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
I've always searched "monkey coder" to get it to show up. But for referring to the language, i've just called it "monkey".

Samah(Posted 2012) [#12]
I wouldn't call it Monkey Basic, but Basic and Java are the two most obvious influences on syntax.

How is Java an influence on Monkey syntax? If anything it's more like VB.NET.

matty(Posted 2012) [#13]
I usually just call it "monkey" and include the url for the website in case anyone needs more information, usually with mention that it is a code translator.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#14]
What matty said, in the past week, I have sent 3 people to the site, after they asked what I was writing in, and then asked what the hell is monkey lol.

Which I hope turned out to be 3 new sales for mark.

That aside, yeah call it monkey, then say monkeycoder as the google search term.

or just give them the facebook page or website url, 1 in 8 people on the planet use facebook, the site really needs to step up its facebook profile.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#15]
I don't know VB.NET, but Java predated it anyway. The program structure is rather similar to Java IMO, whereas at the micro level, stuff like For..Next obviously derive from Basic. (For the record, I like Monkey a lot better than either. It's a nicely-designed language that is pleasant to code in.)

I guess what something reminds you of depends on what you are familiar with!