Best options for Mac/Win builds?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Best options for Mac/Win builds?

Soap(Posted 2012) [#1]
Seems like monkeymax would have been a good option as BMX's build options are very stable. The Unity target may work. The GLFW problems can be figured out, but still for Windows it's not ideal as DX is needed. Another option is to wrap the Flash build with one of those tools such MDM Zinc. XNA would work too, but it has dependencies which block off most older computers.

What are your thoughts? What's the best option?

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#2]
Just a question. Why don't you like dx on windows?

Soap(Posted 2012) [#3]
I do like DirectX on Windows.

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#4]
[edit]oh wait, I misunderstood.

skid(Posted 2012) [#5]
XNA use to have DX10 requirements.

You now have the option to use the "Reach" driver which from my understanding will run on most XP / DX8 hardware platforms. Have you played with XNA?

As for Mac, are there any known GLFW issues?

Soap(Posted 2012) [#6]
With GLFW it is not yet able to support switching to/from fullscreen on Mac? Also, it can only be compiled to work either to stay window or go fullscreen... and mouse is hidden in fullscreen... trying to come to a workable solution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

This still excludes a huge number of computers.

It's ok for like a Steam release, but for mass market users XNA is still trouble in my opinion. I would like for my opinion to be able to be changed. XNA still seems like the best out of the box option available for Monkey Windows target.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#7]
i have to agree that BMax is better than the GLFW monkey. You can also encapsulate your binaries within the executable.