Installing new version of Monkey

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Installing new version of Monkey

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#1]
Something I've been wondering about is what would be the best way of installing a new version of Monkey (on Windows 7). Is it best to just delete the old folder and start working with the new one? Or should all files from the new zip-file be copied over the existing files?

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2011) [#2]
Just copy over most of the new files. You don't, however, want to overwrite things like your config file or if you modified mojo, to back it up before putting the new files in. I've been updating it to almost every new version since back at version 37. No problems, yet, doing this.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks!

I first made a backup of the .txt files in /bin, and a backup of the .ini file in the main folder.

Then I copied/replaced all files from the new version over the old version.

Finally I copied my backup files over the new ones, restoring my configuration and project tree.

(I had made no changes to Mojo so didn't need to backup anything there.)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
I always just extract the new monkey zip in my code folder, so I have this:

c:\
   BlitzMonkey\
               MonkeyPro44\
               MonkeyPro45\
               MonkeyPro45b\
               MonkeyPro45c\
               MonkeyPro46\
               MonkeyPro48\
               MonkeyPro49\
               MonkeyPro50\
               MonkeyPro51\

Doing this way I can see whats been changed (KDIFF FTW!) and if there is any issues I can go back a version (or two).

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2011) [#5]
I copy the whole Monkey directory, then I copy and replace everything with the new version. After that I copy back any config files etc.

You could end up with some obsolete files hanging around forever this way, but apart from that it seems the simplest approach, and you can revert easily if there are any problems.