Any Ludum Dare participants here?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Any Ludum Dare participants here?

benmc(Posted 2011) [#1]
It looks like the 22nd Ludum Dare is coming up this weekend. If you haven't heard of it, it's a 48 hour indie game developer contest.

Anyone here done it before, or thinking of entering it this weekend?

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2011) [#2]
I'm going to be participating in it. Though not alone, I'll be in the Jam.

Edit: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ld22-pre (Video broadcast of one of 5-computers)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#3]
I was so tempted to enter and I probably would have if it wasn't for stupid Skyrim with its stupid "just 1 more hour" gameplay.

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeah...damm Skyrim is ruining my life too :P. But what exactly is the theme for this next compo?

benmc(Posted 2011) [#5]
The theme should be announced today I think. There has been some record setting voting for themes going on, should be an awesome one.

I'm considering being in the competition, but I'd only get to work through the nights because of so many holiday family activities going on. More looking forward to the next one which should be mid-year.

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#6]
I'd like to get involved but we are having our first Xmas this weekend.

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm in! Got some tasty snaks ready to go!

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#8]
Yes, I did it! (I cunningly did NOT buy Skyrim so I can get actual work done).

I completed my game and submitted a Flash version:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=rate&uid=3504

Are there any other Monkey games in the compo?

Must say I really enjoyed using Monkey and learning it and checking out Diddy too. Mostly it's quite a lot like BlitzMax I find.

benmc(Posted 2011) [#9]
@Gret Alien

Your game is awesome, well done!!!!

I didn't even come CLOSE to finishing in time to submit for the compo and the Jam is out of reach too.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#10]
Thanks for trying it! I just submitted it to the monkey apps section of this site.

Yeah it's tough finishing a game in the time period especially with interruptions from family/daily life. I had to descope my idea a lot to get it done in time, which is why it feels a bit minimal.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#11]
Really nice interpretation of the theme (story-wise) and also the mechanics play together nicely.
Well done.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#12]
Hey thanks Shinkiro1. If I'd had more time I'd have put obstacles in the levels and done a few others.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2011) [#13]
I should have written an engine for dealing with standard game mechanics before I went into this. Spent two-and-a-half days dealing with that. Then went onto actual game making at the very end. And ended up with a thing I dare not even call a game.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=7683

On a positive note, I plan to get the real concept for the game implemented in the next week. At least I had fun.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#14]
Cool! Yeah I think that's why they suggested a LD warm up the week before to get your tools and tech/engine sorted out. I also spent a lot of time writing basic screen and sprite classes and figuring out how to do stuff in Monkey. Man I felt under pressure!

benmc(Posted 2011) [#15]
There should be a monthly Monkey Dare :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#16]
That's a good idea. Might be too frequent though. Quarterly would seem more like an event.

TheRedFox(Posted 2011) [#17]
Quarterly: +1

@Grey Alien: are we going for a psychotics theme?

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#18]
Well it was an "alone" theme but maybe some people's drive to be alone turns them psychotic...