What music and sound formats are you using?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/What music and sound formats are you using?

benmc(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm starting to discover the little differences between targets, particularly regarding sound formats.

In Flash, it appears it ONLY understands MP3. So does this mean that anyone who wants sounds in their Flash games has to have a license?

Then on Android, OGG and WAV work fine, but if you want Music, would you use OGG for that too and not MP3 to avoid licensing MP3?

On iOS, what Music format would you use to avoid MP3? WAV seems to work nicely for sounds. Is there an Apple audio format we can use?

GLFW doesn't have MP3 at all it appears, and I haven't tested OGG yet, but would probably use it for Music I suppose if it works - rather than a giant WAV file.

What are you using? Is there a preferred method? Anyone know how to license MP3 so it can be used in commercial apps?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Im using mp3 for crime solitaire on ios. If it starts getting anywhere near 5000 units i'll release an update with m4a audio as i gather that it does not need licencing.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2011) [#3]
Why not wait until annual revenue comes near $100000? As I understand it, the Technicolor license demand only applies to this range.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#5]
Is that website serious? Looks like a scam.

But they write:

However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00.

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#6]
But they write: However, no license is needed...gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00

They have different terms for various uses. The page Gfk linked to is specifically for games.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#7]
Oh yes, I looked at the music part, sorry!

benmc(Posted 2011) [#8]
For MP3 It looks like if you distribute 5000 copies you have to pay.

That's a super easy target to hit - especially with free ad-supported games.

I can't even figure out how this would apply to web-based games in Flash which bugs me because I can't get any other formats to work in Flash.

Are there any MP3 alternatives for Flash?

I am going to try using WAV and other formats for the music in my mobile game versions and hope I don't drain memory just trying to play a tune.

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#9]
I would think Adobe has already paid for a license. Flash player is doing the decoding, not your game.

Of course you shouldn't make important and possibly expensive decisions based on my speculative ramblings.

siread(Posted 2011) [#10]
It seems that it is impossible to seamlessly loop an MP3 due to the silence inserted at the start and end of the file. Converting the file to m4a file doesn't seem to work at all.