Windows8 anyone? :)

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Windows8 anyone? :)

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#1]
Installed Win8 yesterday, going to be interesting to see if there is any issues with it. They now use an App-System inside Win8, which might or might not be really interesting for a future monkey platform (C# App).

It is more different that I first imagined. You clearly notice the step towards touch-interfaces and multi-screen configurations.

Anyone else who run Win8?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#2]
Have downloaded but yet to install. Can't wait to try actually - some of the stuff coming out of the Build conference looks amazing.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think I will stay with OS-X Lion.

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#4]
Default browser is new IE, and you can't seem to change this. It also opens in fullscreen, and I haven't found an option to change this either. Also I don't know what button in IE that does a full refresh. Thankfully I can just do a build (without run) and do that in Chrome.

Also Skype did not work, compatibility mode was no luck..

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#5]
I'm downloading the developer's preview now. Gonna throw it up on VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#6]
Windows 8 on tablets, is this an XNA target for Monkey?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#7]
Windows 8 on tablets, is this an XNA target for Monkey?

The current position appears to be that XNA won't be supported in the Metro UI, so it would be a no go for Win8 tablets.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#8]
The current position appears to be that XNA won't be supported in the Metro UI, so it would be a no go for Win8 tablets.
I think it is the other way round, as XNA is already implemente in windows phone 7, I see no point in it not being supported in windows 8 for tablets. Maybe not supported to develop metro gadgets, but sure supported for game development. I would not be surprised if current windows phone XNA is already compatible with windows 8.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#9]
I don't follow what you mean by "the other way around" considering what I wrote. Are you suggesting that the Metro UI is a no go for tablets, or that Win 8 tablets will only run XNA?

As I understand it -- although the rumour mill is still grinding -- the Metro UI is the touch-screen UI for Win 8 and won't support XNA applications. Further, any ARM-based devices will only run the Metro UI and won't allow the user to drop into the desktop mode where XNA apps will still work. That seems to me to suggest that XNA is not going to be a workable option for targeting Windows 8 tablet devices.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#10]
XNA does support metro GUI as it is already working in metro UI on WIndows Phone devices. That's what I was saying. I've been playing several XNA games on a windows phone. I'm not sure if the app brick can be coded on C# using XNA or not, but the game itself should be compatible with XNA on ARM devices. It's been already developed, and it's working and there are apps done this way that are being sold.

Additionally, where have you read that the ARM version of windows will not have the desktop posibilities? In the dev presentation they show a ARM based computer running a x86 version of word using the desktop environment so it looks they've added a compatibility layer, maybe something similar to the Amiga/apple rosetta, time will tell...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#11]
No x86 apps on ARM:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/15/sinofsky_windows8_arm_support_x86_apps/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393123,00.asp

No XNA on Metro:
http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011/09/19/no-xna-support-for-metro-applications-in-windows-8/

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#12]
My brother's just got some HTML5 builds of my Monkey stuff running this evening on the Windows 8 Developer Preview. It only took a few minutes to build the first test (RockOut!) via Expression Blend, and it seems that timescale was mostly just him having to deal with the zip not being unpacked with its folder structure intact. Within 2 minutes of sending a new project, he said that was all packaged up and running as a proper store app!

Apparently it runs very smoothly on his netbook thingy, which is nice too...

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Nice! So perhaps it may just need a new target in Monkey for a Win8 apps (AppX packages I think their called)?

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#14]
James, how did your brother build that win8 AppX using Expression Blend from the monkey html5 version? Would be very cool to be bundled with Win8 if possible :)

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#15]
I haven't tried it myself, but there's apparently not much to it other than opening the Monkey project files in the Expression Blend editor (I believe it failed to retain the folder structure) and building. I'll try get some more details...

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#16]
OK, I'm reliably informed that this is how you create a Windows 8 app from a HTML5 Monkey project...

1) Run Microsoft Expression Blend 5 from new Start Screen.

2) Go to File Menu -> New project

3) Pick either Blank or Fixed Layout application. (Enter a name for it
below before clicking OK)

4) Go to the root directory for your application. Drag any files from
it and drop them onto the Projects "Solution" pane on the left.
Folders are NOT copied.

5) Create any folder structure you need within that solution pane and
drag files into them as needed. To create icons, splash screen etc
replace the images in the images directory with ones of the same name.

6) Hit the Project menu -> Build Project.

7) Check for any errors in the results pane.

8) If all is okay Project menu -> Run project will install to the
startscreen and autorun the app.

Little edit: MonkeyGame.html apparently needs to be renamed to default.html.