Feature requests?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Feature requests?

trinode(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey, where do we put feature requests?

Basically I'm looking for an "overlay" feature so that I can edit files and have them override the monkey generated ones, and allow deleting the build folder (since you need to delete if on each version upgrade.)

so for example I have a game called MyGame
and it lives in c:\MyGame

and I build it for android
so I get c:\MyGame\build\android\AndroidManifest.xml (and many others)

now using the overlay feature I could copy it to c:\MyGame\overlay\android\AndroidManifest.xml and even if I delete c:\MyGame\build and monkey has to recreate it, it will copy in the manifest from the overlay folder.

This or some sort of way of allowing us to set properties in a monkey app so that those values are populated into files when the app source for the given platform is made (there would probably need to be an editor screen for the settings).

so android config could have (for a start):-
packagename:
LauncherTitle:
LauncherIconFile:
APKSigningKeyFile:

and so on, and these only need setting once and perhaps saving in a file like android.settings then these values are substituted in to the template project automatically.

- Anthony

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#2]
there is a topic already related somewhat to what you want. you might want to post your own interest in it:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1324

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#3]
For Android the solution is easy. Android uses Ant to build. Create your own Ant script and you can do whatever you want, including override your own manifest file, put in filter values, anything you want really.

The simplest way to achieve this, which doesn't depend one anyone from BRL getting involved, is to write a trans plug-in for Maven. Sure most of its built-in features (like transient dependency resolution) are really only useful for Java developers, but it can work as a generic build tool, and will give you a lot of power and flexibility. Additionally Maven will take care of all your build management crap right off the bat. You can even set up different profiles for different compile targets, so that (for example) your smartphone resources, browser resources and desktop/console resources all get packaged on all targets.