Newbie install report... Many problems self solved

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Newbie install report... Many problems self solved

pepemont(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello everyone...

I've just bought a Monkey Pro Licence and I think it is really an impressive tool !

I managed to compile many examples to nearly every platform supported on my machine after some unsuccessull attempts.

So here are my tips that will perhaps help other newbies :

- when you buy online, you receive link to download MonkeyPro 29. This doesn't compile three-party modules like Diddy.
I think that it should be stated clearly that Updates (currently MonkeyPro43) are available and how to get them.

- at firt run I was given choice to compile to HTML5, GLFW and XNA. Had to read the docs to find out why Flash and Android were not in the menu...
After all, that is why I bought the program.
How about giving a choice for every plattform supported and displaying a warning, e.g. : "Flash compiler not detected - see docs for help" instead ?

- GLFW reported a compile error at first attempts. This is probably due to the fact that a had .NET extensions alread installed, but not Microsoft C++ Express..

-After FLEX was installed, it was not automatically recognized because of new version 4.5.1 (last listed 4.5 in update43)
I finally managed to add : FLEX_PATH="${SYSTEMDRIVE}\flex_sdk_4.5.1" in config.winnt.txt.
Took a long time to fix because it was unclear if I had to manually add a quote to comment every wrong FLEX_PATH or if I had to resolve ${SYSTEMDRIVE} manually and replace it with c:\
I think it would be interesting to have a warning (flex path not detected) or perhaps a config.winnt.txt path manager.
And how about automatic path detection ? Preferably with an external setup program. After all, while intalling Android sdk, java sdk path was automatically detected...

-After installing C++ compiler (huge download, how about official MINGW support ?), I had the impression that MonkeyPro43 couldn't compile anymore.
Testing "Program Build" resulted in nothing showing up... But this was due to the fact that no program file was loaded... How about disabling unavailable items in the menu (gray text) ?

- First attempt to compile to GLFW resulted in an OpenAL32.dll missing. I managed to resolve this from Monkey Forum by download oalinst.zip.

- After installing Android SDK, I faced two problems :
(1) BUILD FAILED
C:\android-sdk\tools\ant\main_rules.xml:486: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\android-sdk\tools\ant\main_rules.xml:203: apply returned: 255

This seems due to the fact that source file was in my user folder and that building is not working with " " spaced-named subfolders (such as "Documents_ _and_ _setings").
Fixed by putting monkey source files at root of system drive for compiling.

Likewise, I had to re-install Android SDK on root of system drive instead of "Program Files/Android" as suggested by SDK installer.

(2) BUILD FAILED
C:\android-sdk\tools\ant\main_rules.xml:653: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\android-sdk\tools\ant\main_rules.xml:271: exec returned: 1

This was due to the fact that I didn't know that I had to start Adroid emulator before building...
BTW it took very long time to show up emulator at the first time...

That's all for the moment, folks... Hope this will help others.

Paul

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
Well done of sorting it all out :)

I think it would be nice if Monkey came in an Installer package and asked you along the way if you want to download the various SDKs and ask you where the SDKs are located, so once its all installed most of the issues you ran into wouldnt happen.

BTW the Android Emulator is very slow, I find it is always best to test on an actual device.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
I think you've labeled all the problems I had as well on my installation adventure.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
This seems due to the fact that source file was in my user folder and that building is not working with " " spaced-named subfolders (such as "Documents_ _and_ _setings").
Fixed by putting monkey source files at root of system drive for compiling.

BTW This is a bug with Android:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=12740

MonkeyPlotter(Posted 2016) [#5]
Interesting thread.