Monkey on OSX Lion..

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey on OSX Lion..

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#1]
Not working on it.... Luckily i have a Windows XP VM running so i'm still able to work on Monkey on my MacBook Pro :).

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi!

any one have any ideas on this one, just updated my mac and it monk is not working at the moment not. it seems to be effecting blitzmax.

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=94924
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=95330

Thanks

Adam

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#3]
I believe that BlitzMax is a 32bit executable and lion is 64 bit operating system. lion itself doesn't run on macbooks with core duo(32 bit) processors while Leopard did run on both 64 and 32 bit systems.

matt(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thankfully, we can still build and code apps using an alternative editor

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#5]
True Matt

it seems like the only thing not working on lion for me is monk.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#6]
I think(hope) an update will come soon.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#7]
I think the BMK tool of BLitzMAx has to be changed so it compiles 64 bit code. Then you can compile Monk for it.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#8]
That's odd. I bought my first Mac (Air 13" i7) today and Monkey doesn't work. Uh dear. Well, will install Windows parallel anyway... ;)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#9]
Oh I should read more carefully. Monkey works, but Monk doesn't, right? If so, that's not an issue. ;)

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#10]
Monk is the issue, Monkey is fine as far has i no

matt(Posted 2011) [#11]
Yep, I echo that

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#12]
So when is Monk going to be updated........

Roger Lockerbie(Posted 2011) [#13]
If you really want a Lion version of Monk, you can do the following (You'll need BlitzMax latest lion version as well to do this)

1. Checkout top level subversion of MaxGUI from source forge

2. At the top level as well as trunk, it has another folder skid, this has a version of the MaxGUI mod that has the spaces hacked in in lieu of separators that was causing the monk toolbar to break.

3. build this maxgui.mod module under blitzmax

4. go to your monkey/src dir

5. with blitzmax open rebuildall.bmx

6. set all entries except monk to false

7. compile/run rebuild all.bmx

8. This will rebuild monk using the latest dev version of MaxGUI with the lion/toolbar fixes, the binary should replace your existing broken monk.

I've used Monk to build bouncy aliens to test it all works, but nothing more exhaustive than that.

I thought of posting a rapidshare of monk, but decided against it as It's not really mine to do, and I suspect the licence does not permit that.

If you follow the above you'll be monk'ing under Lion until the official fix comes out.

Usual disclaimer, this worked for me, its not guaranteed by me and certainly not BRL, attempt at your own risk

Roger.

Aman(Posted 2011) [#14]
Roger,
I am not sure but I think that monkey language and monk are open source projects. Mojo is the part that needs a license. Perhaps someone could correct me if I am wrong?
Anyway, good job

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#15]
I think Skid mention that he was working on some updates to it. Didn't say when he was going to release it though.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#16]
Imho you can do whatever you want with Monk.

simonh(Posted 2011) [#17]
Update coming very soon...

skape(Posted 2011) [#18]
v44 (just up) has some Lion fixes. Not sure if monk is fixed (don't have Lion yet), but it might be.

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1318

therevills(Posted 2011) [#19]
There are no changes to the Monk source code in v44... Ive just compared v43 and v44 folders.

The MacOS binary is different to v43.

Neuro has just posted this:
Oh hells yes! It works on Lion now :)!!

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=1318&post=11953

AaronK(Posted 2011) [#20]
There still seems to be a problem building HTML5 (That, or I am missing something) because when BlitzMax is launched to build it, it never starts up and therefore the build never finishes.

matt(Posted 2011) [#21]
You mean the monk server? Run that once in it's own, then try building again.