No tutorials?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/No tutorials?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Been hovering my mouse over JungleIDE on and off for a few days but I'd like to see some tutorials and/or a familiarisation guide first since every thread I look at makes Monkey seem like a right old faff.

I.e. not being able to change screen res, only being able to load/save strings, loading graphics etc in oncreate/onupdate.... it goes on.

Is there anywhere I could go to get my head around the basics?

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#2]
Have you read the 2 tutorials that come with the monkey help?

But you are right, maybe there should be a dedicated tutorials forum like on blitzbasic.com.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
No - I'm still struggling to set up the Android target which no matter what I do, refuses to work. I've installed ANT1.8 (whatever the hell that is), Java SDK as per the instructions, yet when I try to install the Android SDK it tells me the Java SDK is not installed - but IT IS! I've tried update 21 (which BRL say to use) and update 26 (which is where the AndroidSDK sends me), plus reboots so far and... nothing!

Fed up with it already.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Gfk, are you updating Monkey/bin/config.winnt.txt to point to said SDKs and what not?

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#5]
or have you looked in the problems on android as most of us i think had similiar problems to this when first setting up android.Its usually a PATH misspelt. Try looking at

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=636#5540

there are a few others as well

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
The android sdk installer is nothing to do with monkey paths, is it? So i don't see how messing with the config file will help at this stage.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#7]
@GfK
When you get the message 'Java SDK is not installed',try this:
Use the 'Back' button, and then 'Next' again.

matty(Posted 2011) [#8]
Volker is right.. it is an oddity of the installer, press back then next.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
Oh. I'll try that. thanks.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#10]
I was never happy with monkey's tutorials, they could be formatted better and make them easier to read.

The other problem with monkey and android install is that could give *which* path of the three you need it could not find, which i actually added to trans myself, so i could alter the config file properly.

I feel your pain. Keep at it.

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#11]
GFK: try this mate:

https://wiebo.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/how-to-monkey-and-android-development-setup/

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thanks all for the help, got it all up and running now! Bit of a faff but weibo's tutorial really helped.