Flash/HTML5 vs iOS/Android native code

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Flash/HTML5 vs iOS/Android native code

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm guessing there's a significant speed difference between native code and Flash/html5 on smartphones, but has anyone done any kind of speed comparison on this? I'm asking because I tried to run a small game built in flash and html5 on a nokia n8 and both builds ran extremely slow (<5fps). So if flash and html5 builds are only marginally slower than native code I'll probably need to rethink how I do stuff.

Hima(Posted 2011) [#2]
Don't expect any flash or html5 to work well on smartphones anytime soon. I have yet to see one that work well :( Even games on Kongregate for mobile lack greatly on my Galaxy S.

JIM(Posted 2011) [#3]
Flash/HTML5 builds on smartphones are orders of magnitude slower than native code, so don't use that as a guideline :)

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#4]
Whew, I was worried my code was extremely inefficient or something. Good to know :)

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#5]
People always think that when it runs fine on a desktop, it will run fine on a mobile device. It simply doesn't. You have to limit yourself performance wise. And like they others said. HTML/FLASH is no option for a game on a mobile device atm and imho.

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yeah it was mainly an experiment to get some kind of performance ballpark figure for smartphones. And just to see my stuff actually run on a phone :)