Speeding up Trans

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Speeding up Trans

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi
We're working on Avalon Legends Solitaire port and it looks like one little tweak could save 30-50% of building time in Monk/Trans. Every time you hit build in Monk it compiles, etc. the code, but also deletes old data files and then copies same data files over. It's not a problem if data folder contains 3 files of 1MB size, but if you work on real game with 50MB size total that is doubled by SVN then that delete+copy operation takes 25s on my quite modern desktop.

It would be great to have "quick build" option in trans that would not delete and copy the files in *.data folder.

Eventually I could try to disable this delete-copy behavior on my own, but so far I have troubles recompiling Trans.

cheers
Roman

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#2]
+1 That would be nice to have such a quick build option.

AndyGFX(Posted 2011) [#3]
I thik that cmd Build need more option like:
- build/rebuild all project
- set orientation for target platform when is needed
- set project resolution
- delete/update/copy on/off .data folder
- restore to default config
etc.

skid(Posted 2011) [#4]
+1 Agree

I would like to suggest we remove build settings requester from the Run option in monk and make it perform "Quick Build and Run" for current target.

Hmmm, a clean option would also be nice for people upgrading monkey versions.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#5]
+1

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#6]
does including a lot of media in the SWF file take a long time? or is it just the deleting and re-copying?

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#7]
+1 for quick builds

I'd even want to be able to compile by string (for each file) instead of by file-path, since most times if you use an IDE, the file is already loaded into memory, feeding that to the compiler should lightning fast compared to the compiler doing a disk-read on every file in the project. This would save time on the disk-read, quick-build would save time on the disk-write.

I'm really hoping for this in the future, compile/trans in memory could reduce build times to less than a second even on large projects, at least for IDE's supporting that option.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#8]
Now that I have added some media to my game (MP3s) I am finding that the build time for XNA projects is taking quite a while mainly because of the MP3 processing part of the build.

It's not a show stopper obviously, but I would find quick build helpful too.

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#9]
raz, in XNA you should try to build your content separate from the game. Xna handles pre-compiled content, you are not supposed to build it every time unless it's a small tiny project.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#10]
Tibit, how do I do that? Currently in Jungle IDE I'm just doing XNA > Build.

Thanks
-Chris

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#11]
Raz,

Try Update instead of build.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thanks dopey, will give it a go tonight :)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Update is much faster :)

Ziggy, if you see this, is it possible to Update and then run?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#14]
Raz,

The only real benefit for this is if you then run from VS (or whatever IDE for iOS, Android etc) as at this point the code has not been compiled just created.