monkey for Linux

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/monkey for Linux

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#1]
I wanted to know what the plans are to release monkey on linux.
It would definitely help me to get a time frame when it may be released.

PS: I am just asking for the port of the trans tool, not the IDE.

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#2]
I would be interested in a Linux port of the trans tool myself, I think there was reference to Linux in an older trans source code.

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#3]
So does anyone know? Anyone care?

Qcat(Posted 2011) [#4]
i still care only has windows is so slow on my netbook and unbuntu is not so bad. also it might be handy to have linux support for server components etc has it seems to be ferley cheap to host a linux virtual server.

outsider(Posted 2011) [#5]
I care too.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#6]
I do too.

This is certainly an indicator that Mark has considered it and it can be done, but it's not necessarily an indicator that he'll ever release it.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#7]
I think you can easily compile TRANS on linux, but it's the mojo that may leave some challenges. The GLFW library is available on Linux, so in theory it can be done.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#8]
Maybe if Linux wasn't such a hacked together mess it would be easier but alas it's not.

So therefore, I don't care. :)

matt(Posted 2011) [#9]
I'd be interested in the Linux version as I have a Linux laptop/notebook as my only laptop.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'm waiting for the FreeBSD version!

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#11]
Any official word on this?

As mentioned in a thread over at bb.com, it is a bit cheeky advertising Linux as a target, when it obviously isnt, and IMO, a bit naughty doing so.

Not that I use Linux meself, because I don't, but, someone may come along expecting it to work, buy monkey, then spam the life out of the boards about being robbed, all because of a little penguin in the list of targets in the About page! :D

Dabz

therevills(Posted 2011) [#12]
all because of a little penguin in the list of targets in the About page

Its not just there Dabz, check out the Store page:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Store/_index_.php

Create HTML5, Flash, iOS, Android, XNA, Windows, Mac and Linux Apps

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Ouch, BRL....Leaving themselves wide open for a botty smack! :D

http://www.asa.co.nz/code_ethics.php

Dabz

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#14]
Technically it works on Linux (using wine). Is it an elegant solution? Hell no. But if you really want to, and know what you're doing, you can use Monkey on Linux.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#15]
Mark's gonna sort out the icon, ie. ditch the penguin, as Linux isn't an officially supported target or host. It appears it was going to be at one point, hence the penguin, which has unfortunately stayed in place.

I actually got trans working and building a HTML5 app on Ubuntu last night (my "Rotation Sickness" sample), but you need BlitzMax to be able to build some of the tools yourself, and I couldn't get MServer to connect, not that this would stop the app working once uploaded to a proper web server.

I might have a go at doing it all from scratch later, and write down all the steps needed to get it working.

Since trans and the other non-Mojo bits and pieces are in the public domain, I ought to at least be able to post compiled versions of the BlitzMax-dependent tools for those without Max, and there should also be an official non-Mojo, public domain distribution at some point.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#16]
OK, here's a build of trans/makemeta for Linux, along with the steps for building them yourself if you want/need to:

Compiling trans for Linux

EdzUp(Posted 2011) [#17]
Will there ever be an official version to go with the Win32 and OSX versions, I only ask as it would be nice to be able to build on every major platform rather than just two.

Im on a nix laptop atm and use it for BlitzMax builds so it could handle monkey rather nicely and I would love to see it on nix.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#18]
Being able to compile to a linux target, eg. glfw, would be a big win because there are so few games released on linux that the users tend to evangelize linux games somewhat as well as to buy them.

One way to do this fairly (?) easily might be to persuade Monkey to generate Blitzmax code which could then be compiled by a Blitz compiler-- this is getting to be like a Yo Dawg meme but perhaps I make my point...

Samah(Posted 2012) [#19]
Yo dawg...
Yeah, a link is less trolling than an embedded image. :)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#20]
Yo dawg, we heard you like 404 errors...

But seriously, could something like this happen? Something where if you owned Blitzmax, Monkey could pump out code for Blitz? A big part of my reasoning is because I would like to use my linux boxes for dev stations.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#21]
Monkey could pump out code for Blitz?

I did start a BlitzMax target, but got bored and I couldnt think of a nice way to convert interfaces :(

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1647

Feel free to continue this work :P

jondecker76(Posted 2012) [#22]
Has there been any official word on Linux support? (Either as a target or the IDE/trans?)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#23]
Maybe Mark could add a 'Community Targets' section (like the module registry)

fsoft(Posted 2012) [#24]
If you are interested in Monkey to Linux, please follow this thread:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2260#26954