Screen Dimensions for maximum distribution

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Screen Dimensions for maximum distribution

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello all.

Does anyone have a resource for the desired screen dimensions so that I can get my game on the maximum amount of platforms?

I'm currently setup for 800x600 and 640x480, but I'm sure there are more that I need to prepare for.

If anyone has a list, that would be great. If not, perhaps we can start one here so people are prepared when they are getting their games ready for the different platforms.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#2]
When you say desired resolutions, do you mean the most popular ones? If so, check the bottom right table of this http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

It might be worth looking at the most common aspect ratios and coding your game based on that and scaling as required (literally just saying and I'm not backing up with any personal experience at all!)

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks raz. That helps with Windows/Mac but I'm also looking for Android and XNA. I'm trying to figure out 3 resolutions I can make my games in that will cover the majority of platforms. I'll get a list together of what I discover, but I don't have any experience on Android or XNA.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Not sure for iPhone but for Android http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

Sledge(Posted 2011) [#5]
Argh no! Far better to use a virtual resolution and scale rendering to best fit the device's display at runtime. What are you going to do, release an update every time a device with a different resolution is released?! Write the code to cope with any resolution once and forget about it.

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#6]
I'm concerned about two things. Size of image files that have to be put into memory on the devices and their rendering speed when downsizing larger files.

If this is not an issue on all of these devices then you are correct. But I'm not convinced I wouldn't get better performance by having a few sizes that are in the range of the devices I'm targeting.

jjsonick(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm curious about this too - do people feel confident about iOS and Android being able to smoothly handle lots of re-scaling in general? I'd be glad to hear that they are, because a virtual resolution would be the ideal way to approach the problem.

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#8]
I hardcoded my first iOS game to 320x480 and it passed through the submission process smoothly, I tested it on a 3rd gen iPod, but, the specs on the apple site say:-

Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 3.0 or later

So I'm presuming Apple tested the boobs off it on all the devices and it came back fine!

Dabz

matt(Posted 2011) [#9]
@Dabz post a link when it hits the App Store!

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#10]
Contgrats Dabz! Keep us posted since you're one of the first to do this.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#11]
he could be referring to a game created in glbasic

matt(Posted 2011) [#12]
but i bet he's not

Zombie Trailer Park was the first monkey game to get onto the App Store AFAIK

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#13]

he could be referring to a game created in glbasic

Yep... This little fella:-

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-battleships/id417602097?mt=8

I dont have long to go on my next one, just time has been squeezed somewhat lately, and I've been mega busy... Wont be long though!

Dabz

P.S. Oh, and the second one is in GLBasic too, didnt make sense at the time to wait for monkey when I was all geared up to make another iOS game.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#14]
for ios target it should be enough to hardcode it to 320x480
but you should create your images double sized suited to the retina resolution which is 960x640 as deviceHeight and deviceWidth and then save those retina HQ Images as filename@...

Otherwise by scaling a 320x480 Image up will result with a large file but with the same quality like a scaled image.
After that scale your retina images to 320x480 and save it as filename.png for older devices which does not support retina graphics.

Do that for each Image so that you always have a @2x retina and one with half resolution suited for 320x480

I always scale my workspace to the retina resolution and then its very comfortable to work out the different sizes after designing your app/game

ios will do the scaling automatically if you add those @2x in your deploy

Wagenheimer(Posted 2011) [#15]
Does monkey support using @2x???

Well... You can detect the resolution and load the equivalent images.