Monkey community

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey community

pinete(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,
maybe this is not the correct forum to do this.. if so, sorry, just let me know :)
I was thinking the reason why Mark has not took the advantage of the well stablished blitz community to support Monkey at its release, I mean, if you take a look, the only place where monkey is referred is the forum of Blitzbasic.com! it seems crazy to me just because I'm sure there are a really a bunch of people that don't know nothing about Monkey release!
And this is a shame because a lot of those people could do new contributions, write code, projects..
Just to think about it or to comment :)
best!

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Well, there's been posts about it on IndieGamer, and probably on GameDev too (though I don't go there).

I don't really want to dredge up the whole "name" thing again, but since we're on the issue, I think the name (monkey) is not a fabulous choice. Even if you've heard the name floating about, googling it is obviously going to bring up more links about primates than anything else. I would have probably gone for something more unique/easier to find.

[edit] And yes, I would never have heard of it if it wasn't for posts on the Blitz forums pointing to mark's blog.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
I have mixed emotions here. In the long haul I think it's a good idea to split this from the BlitzBasic site. Many potential customers would even look at Monkey if they hear "Basic" in the first place.

I think Monkey has huge potential and it's not even 3 weeks old. Give it some time and it will gain a lot of fans and professionals as well.

What Monkey needs is some kind of a killer app like Corona SDK had to show its potential.

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#4]
Mark has admitted he is not a marketing person but yes he does need to work on spreading the word, cross promotion etc.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#5]
monkey programming language in Google finds the wiki page for Monkey.

GW_(Posted 2011) [#6]
monkey programming language in Google finds the wiki page for Monkey.

Not sure for how long.
The wiki page is also marked for deletion.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#7]
The wiki page has been reopened for further discussion, and I added also a justification.

pinete(Posted 2011) [#8]
My aim with this post was, maybe, to encourage Mark to take into account the old community, as important supporter or as vehicle of advertisment, in order to boost up the Monkey community with the aim of making it grow up as soon as possible to experience the whole benefits it can bring to every Monkey user, seizing the great work done during the past years in the construction of one of the most profitable and proactive communities ever seen in the indie game programming scene.

No matter if Google finds it or not, I understand you're going to find it if you're looking for, but problem here as far as I understand is what happens with those lot of people who doesn't know that this language exists and it has been released some days ago.. ;)

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#9]
It would make sense to cross promote but Id imagine its much more manageable to have a smaller group of initial testers while the product is still in early release. Imagine trying to deal with 1000's customers/requests/bugs when your trying to develop your product.

A killer app is needed! I have a monkey game (delidash) in development since June last year. I fully plan to include monkey references on Delidash's website and in the splash screens.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'd expect a major marketing campaign* once Monkey has settled/stabilised a bit.

[* That's 'major' in BRL terms, ie. posting on various relevant web sites' news pages to let people know it exists!]

I think the most constructive thing anyone can do to help is to get some cool apps/demos posted on this very site.

(Basically, "what skn3 said".)

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#11]
I think Mark wants Monkey to be more evolved before putting more emphasis on marketing.

degac(Posted 2011) [#12]
We dont' still know if we can place an HTML5 game on-line for the public, as the source-code is 'freely' available (and *maybe* BRL/Mark want to obfuscate it in some way to kept Monkey-framework hidden).

TeaBoy(Posted 2011) [#13]
I believe any product doesn't necessarily need a huge marketing campaign to succeed, as word of mouth is the best form of marketing, any product that's worth it's salt will get passed on to others.

JD0(Posted 2011) [#14]
I think Mark should continue to do what he has been doing. Supporting the paid customers of Monkey with updates who are working with Monkey so that completed games and apps can be released.

Monkey will spread virally as more games/apps are created.