Why only jpg screenshots?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Why only jpg screenshots?

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#1]
I noticed that my 640x480 screenshot is only 3KB as png, and with horrible quality jpg it is still 17KB!
I think the Apps upload should allow png screenshots also, especially if they are smaller than the corresponding jpg screenshot.

simonh(Posted 2011) [#2]
jpgs are generally smaller, so we're using those at the moment. Your screenshot is something of a special case as it's mostly black space.

matt(Posted 2011) [#3]
IMHO size alone shouldn't be a factor here, but rather suitability of the file format for the images being presented. Surely the goal is to reproduce the screenshot accurately?

Any "space savings" gained by using JPEG is artificial as the image is not an identical representation of the original. PNG is the best file format widely supported for saving low file size, and more importantly lossless, versions of images such as screenshots.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics#Comparison_to_JPEG
http://info.eps.surrey.ac.uk/FAQ/standards.html

simonh(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yes, well aware of all of that matt. Unless you are paying for the server or the bandwidth, I'm not quite sure how you can state that size shouldn't be a factor?

And the jpegs are a very good, if not perfect, representation of the images. If you want a perfect representation, play the app.

matt(Posted 2011) [#5]
You're correct in saying that often JPG is better and other times PNG is better.

I always come down on the size of visual perfection, which is why I said filesize alone would not be the deciding factor for me.

But if bandwidth/filesize is the only concern of monkeycoder.co.nz, I'd imagine the best way to reduce bandwidth usage would probably be to allow only PNG uploads (so you've got lossless image data at the source) and then on the server resave a second file as JPG. Then use the smaller of the two on the page.

Any thoughts?

EdzUp(Posted 2011) [#6]
Its really a mute point on things these days what with Broadband etc.

Sledge(Posted 2011) [#7]
Its really a mute point on things these days what with Broadband etc.
It's "moot", except it isn't because broadband makes it easier for folk to suck up your bandwidth not harder.