OK.... where are the docs??!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/OK.... where are the docs??!

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
In Monk (or JungleIDE), if I click on Module Reference I expect to be given.... well.... something! A list of commands I guess.

Instead, I get a blank page, except for one line at the top which reads "Modules Home > Modules >", then a search box top-right. That's it.

So, what gives? Where's the command reference?? Should this not be it?

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#2]
it works fine for me. What version of IE do you have installed?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Erm.... chrome!

[edit] Apparently I have IE 9.0.8080.16413, not that I ever use it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#4]
Well, that's the same version as me, so it's not likely to be that causing it.

If you open "file:///C:/Monkey/docs/modules/index.html#/mojo" in chrome do you see the list on the left?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, that's the same version as me, so it's not likely to be that causing it.

If you open "file:///C:/Monkey/docs/modules/index.html#/mojo" in chrome do you see the list on the left?
Ah, there they are!

That works.... so why's it a blank page in both Monk and JungleIDE?! Even if I hit F1 twice (I assume that should bring up function help like in Blitzmax) I end up on the same blank page.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#6]
Presumably IE isn't instantiating properly or the page is causing an error in it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#7]
Maybe an add on in IE? You could try disabling all add ons (which are usually installed without your knowledge) and see if it works.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
I dunno... but if I open the page above in IE - blank page! I'll have a dig. As I said I don't even use IE so if its playing silly buggers behind my back, then its bound to be doing it to other people too.

I'll report back in a bit.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#9]
I don't use IE either (except when I want some pain with web development, it's really good at causing pain).

You can set Monk to use a different browser for help, but obviously it will open in a separate window.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#10]
Right - "Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls"

How do I permanently stop that??? It comes up every time I reopen IE - even after I've clicked "Allow".

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#11]
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Internet-Explorer-Information-bar-frequently-asked-questions

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thanks for the help but that didn't work either. I succeeded in getting rid of the warning message, but the page still remains blank.

This is doing my head in now. I hate IE and I hope Bill Gates gets VD. >:(

Amon(Posted 2011) [#13]
@GFK,

Welcome aboard! :)

One thing to try if IE is playing silly is to reset it. Go in to Internet Options >> Advanced Tab and down the bottom click reset.

Reason I'm saying this is IE gave me the same problem, even after disabling addons and trying whatnot. Reseting IE to default settings though made it work.

Plus with IE reset you can enable the addons or any settings one by one in order to see which one is borking the browser.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#14]
Still no joy. Tried resetting everything, disabling everything, enabling everything.

*shoots self*

Amon(Posted 2011) [#15]
Are you using the 64bit or 32bit version of IE?

I ask because on my Win7 64bit it comes with 2 versions of IE8-9. When I try stuff with the 64bit version of IE it gives me nothing but problems.

If it's not that then try downloading the setup files for IE9-8 again and reinstall thwe browser.

If that doesn't work...well, that's IE for ya!

GfK(Posted 2011) [#16]
Its Win7 32-bit. I have the exact same version of IE on my laptop, and monkey's docs work fine on that!

I already tried reinstalling IE9, but it told me "a newer version is already installed"!

I'm beginning to loathe this Internet Exploder dependency.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#17]
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

Link above shows how to uninstall it. Once that is done try reinstalling it.

Also what security software are you using? If it is different to the security software on your laptop it may have a feature that blocks scripts. I know Mcafee and avg have this.........may be worth a try to check the security software isn't blocking stuff running on IE.

If all that fails to make it work it may then be a Win 7 SP1 issue. Saying that because SP1 won't even install on my second PC and I'll be damned if I'm gonna format the system and reinstall just to get SP1 to install.

Went on a ramble there..

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#18]
I'm beginning to loathe this Internet Exploder dependency.

I've gone past loathing, through violent rage and into quiet acceptance. A bit like a kidnapee on the 12th month.

skid(Posted 2011) [#19]
Gfk, check your monkey and docs folder properties, in some situations windows can enable a protected flag I think it was called that stopped IE trusting the files.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#20]
The two PCs I've tried this on both have Windows 7 SP1. Software wise they have identical versions, yet one works and the other fails.

[edit]
Gfk, check your monkey and docs folder properties, in some situations windows can enable a protected flag I think it was called that stopped IE trusting the files.
Hmm.... I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Thx!

GfK(Posted 2011) [#21]
Went back to IE8... and that has exactly the same problem!

I've also looked into this "protected flag" thing and everything looks OK... though I must admit I'm not entirely sure what it is I'm looking for.

Reinstalling IE9RC - even though IE9 is officially released tomorrow. I don't expect the situation to change simply because of that, though.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#22]
Have you tried going in to the docs folder and just firing up the index.htm file? Saying this just to see if it does the same when launching not from within MonkIDE or JungleIDE.

There's also a style.css you can try looking at in the docs folder. Not saying it has anything in it that could bork IE8 and 9; it's just for testing purposes.

Another thing, try downloading Monkey again and put it in a different folder or move the current one to somewhere else.

I dunno really, it's bizarre.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#23]
Ok I managed to get it to do the same thing it does for you i.e. A blank page when I click on a link.

What I did is when I clicked on module reference in some of the white space on the screen I right clicked and selected view source. I noticed that the help files on my system are running in IE8 emulated mode. There is a line at the top when viewing source that has this Content="IE=EmulateIE8". I also noticed that it uses javascript in some places so I'm thinking may be check if you version of javascript is up to date and that the old versions are uninstalled.

It's when I messed with the javascript that it wouldn't display anything.

I dunno....

GfK(Posted 2011) [#24]
Yep, its the javascript that IE is blocking. The irony is, when I click the "Allow" button (Which as I said before, is not possible to be made permanent), it goes "Scripts are usually safe. Are you sure?"

If it knows that scripts are usually safe, why in the name of Satan's y-fronts does it insist on blocking them?!

Oh - regarding the "update javascript" comment - think you're getting confused between java and javascript (which are not the same thing).

GfK(Posted 2011) [#25]
Well, I give up. I've tried everything - even dropping IE security completely. It just isn't going to work on my dev PC.

Thanks for all the help attempts.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#26]
In control panel find the Java 32 bit icon, click it to go to in to the java config screen. Click the advanced tab, infact check all other tabs first to see if there are any security options before going to the advanced tab. In the general Tab there is "Network Settings". Mine is setup as a direct connection but there is an option to use the browsers configuration. Try changing that.

If that doesn't help go to the advanced tab and open up the Security Options. If you mess about in there, really don't know what to chose or not, does it fix the problem.

Does turning off "Enable next generation java plugin" in the java-plugin settings make any difference.

The last thing you can try which probably won't work and I would advise against doing it, it's a stress releaver though, is to make it work with a bolster hammer and a blowtorch.

Last one was a joke...I think though I have exhausted all options that are available. :/

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#27]
Amon.... JavaScript <> Java...

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#28]
Do you see any difference from Jungle Ide? Jungle Ide sets the appropriate settings for IE embedding to itself, o it should work for IE8 and IE9 both 32 and 64 bits. I've tested it before in several computers. If it does not, be sure to have the following option on IE:

Under Security tab, open Customize and be sure to have the option "Allow script execution from the internet explorer browser embedded control"
(I'm translating from Spanish, so the text may differ, but should mean the same). this may do the trick for you.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#29]
As a side note, version 9 of IE is not a stable release, so this may be related to your browsing problems. Maybe something that needs to b fixed by Microsoft.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#30]
I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that IE9 is screwed.... but then the exact same build on my laptop is fine. I tried your suggestions and it didn't make any difference. I'm sure in the last day or so I've played with every setting IE9 has.

Think I'll just wait til tomorrow for the release of IE9 and see what happens.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#31]
By the way - is this dependency on IE really necessary? Is there no alternative to managing the documentation for monkey? Because it seems to me that whenever IE goes near anything, it goes tits-up at the drop of a hat.

On about it to Dabz just now and he got talking about compiled HTML. I don't know what that is. Would it be better?

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#32]
I open the docs always with Opera or SeaMonkey from the docs folder directly. Then also Ctrl-F for searching works, which does not work in the Monkey IDE.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#33]
I open the docs always with Opera or SeaMonkey from the docs folder directly. Then also Ctrl-F for searching works, which does not work in the Monkey IDE.
That's no good. I want to hit F1 from the IDE for help.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#34]
F1 doesn't work anyway in Monkey IDE, which should jump to the page with the command under the cursor.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#35]
F1 doesn't work anyway in Monkey IDE, which should jump to the page with the command under the cursor.

It does for me, but not for every command.

@GfK Monk can be set to use your default web browser for help and you can use F1, don't know about Jungle (since I don't need it to).

degac(Posted 2011) [#36]
F1 on MonkIDE works for me, but I need to press it twice (of course not for all the commands if there's no help present).

GfK(Posted 2011) [#37]
Yep - no option in JungleIDE to do that.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#38]
Yep - no option in JungleIDE to do that.

This is being tested right now, an update is schedelued in some hours with this added.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#39]
This is being tested right now, an update is schedelued in some hours with this added.
Just installed a JungleIDE update and I can't find this option??

Also: Installed IE9 RTM - still no docs! Even started trawling through the settings in MSE to see if that could be blocking something, but I got nothing.

</stumped and annoyed>

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#40]
[quote]Just installed a JungleIDE update and I can't find this option??[quote]Just press F1 over any keyword to let Jungle Ide open the associate help page. the option is on Help menu.

One more question, does it make any difference if you refresh the browser window when it is blank?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#41]
No, refreshing the page didn't help.

By the way - about the "F1" thing? I think we are at crossed purposes. I was talking about an option in JungleIDE to use a different browser to Internet Explorer.

Just checked in the Help menu and that's when I figured out you meant the F1 feature (also, in the help menu you've written "keywrod" instead of "keyword").

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#42]
I'll add an external browser option for the F1 key, for the next release.