android phone recommendation

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/android phone recommendation

Bremer(Posted 2011) [#1]
In your mind, what would be an ideal android phone to purchase for testing apps made with Monkey on? Would it be better to invest in the latest greatest or would it be better to go for something more middle of the road?

I have not ever owned an android phone so I do not really know the market as it is today, so I am looking for some sound advise to assist me with my initial investment into app development.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#2]
Samsung Galaxy S2. RealFullHD 1080p video recording and playback. 1GB RAM. 1GHz Dual Core. nVidia 3D GPU.

matt(Posted 2011) [#3]
I'm using an Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) - less thsn £100 PAYG. It is very much a budget phong but if my game works on that I'd be mch happier than developing on the top of the range handset. (Angry Birds runs slowly on it, for example)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#4]
I have a HTC Desire HD since last week. It totally rocks! :D

But I've though about matt's suggestion as well. He is right. If it runs on the ZTE it will run on other phones much better. ;)

BigAnd(Posted 2011) [#5]
I have a standard HTC Desire (not HD) and its a really nice phone, so much so I am using it more than my old iPhone 3GS. If I was buying one now though, I would probably go for what Xaron has (as I have a soft spot for the HTC interface) not used any of the others so couldn't give a recommendation on any of them.

Bremer(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks for your input. My brother showed med the HTC Desire HD, and wow what a nice phone, but it is also quite expensive. I might just have to see if it is in my budget to get one of those. But I was thinking that most people probably have a non-HD phone, either with the 320x240 or the 320x400 resolution, so it might be a good idea to find a used one of those so that my games could be tested on something most people would be likely to play them on. Or am I wrong in thinking that the majority of people would be having non-HD phones these days?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
Dont get a phone with the 320x240 screen res, not many games use this res.

When I was looking it seemed the "standard" res is 320 x 480.

Bremer(Posted 2011) [#8]
Good to know, I was thinking about getting a HTC Gratia since it is about half price of the HTC Desire HD, and I rather start out with a phone that is as close to what most people would be using.

BigAnd(Posted 2011) [#9]
The normal Desire is cheaper than the HD version but is the same resolution (480x800) its just the physical screen is bigger (something like 3.7' to 4.3') so it might be something to consider.

CodeGit(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'm using the HTC Desire and it is great.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#11]
I second the HTC Desire sentiment, it's very nice.

It's graphics performance is reasonable, although it doesn't have a separate GPU, it's not been an issue for any games I've downloaded from the Market.

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#12]
Don't get a wildfire.. screen res is only 240x320 great phone but soon realised its usless for apps.

HTC Desire is probably your best bet.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Assuming your computer is up to the task, you should be able to test an array of phones via the emulator.

If you're serious about your app releases, it might be worth getting a couple of Android phones. One really cheap entry level thing (maybe a second hand one on ebay?) as well as a mid to high level one (A HTC Desire).

I used to have a G1 which I thought was great until I got a HTC Desire which is an amazing phone (except for the pathetic max volume).

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#14]
On thing to consider when going for a HTC Desire (not HD!):

The internal flash memory is very limited. Your 8GB SD card isn't useful because Apps usually need to be installed onto the flash memory! I didn't know that before but my colleague has one and he had only 130MB memory left because most of the flash is already occupied by Android.

The Desire HD has 1.5GB internal flash so that's not an issue there!

Actually you need to apply some tricks to put Apps on the SD card and not all Apps work from there. Keep that in mind! Look always(!) how big the internal flash memory is, NOT the SD card memory.

okee(Posted 2011) [#15]
Orange San Fransisco / ZTE Blade here, cost £100, put jellyfish 2.2 rom on it
works flawlessly, "Two-Thirds Of A Nexus One For One-Third The Price"
as one review site labelled it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#16]
Actually you need to apply some tricks to put Apps on the SD card and not all Apps work from there.

My phone has an option to move an app to the SD card if the app allows it, not had a problem with it so far.

*EDIT*

Actually, that's just for the storaage, but it's still handy for making room

therevills(Posted 2011) [#17]
I didnt want to spend a bomb on a new phone, so I went with the LG Optimus One P500.

Its has a 320x480 screen res and a 600MHz CPU.

I used this site when comparing phones:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3516&idPhone2=3077

matt(Posted 2011) [#18]
That's pretty similar to the one I use - a ZTE Blade
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3516&idPhone2=3391

I'm running CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3 gingerbread) on mine
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/15844-cyanogenmod-7-for-blade-v700-rc1-2152011/

TeraBit(Posted 2011) [#19]
Like therevills, I'm using a LG Optimus One, it seems fairly good overall. :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#20]
Chalk another one up to the HTC Desire. The 1GHz Snapdragon configuration is pretty common, and serves as a good reference system. Angry Birds runs great on it.