I made two new mobile games.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/I made two new mobile games.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2016) [#1]
I made two new games and released them for iOS and Android.

Battle Match:
Its a memory game with a twist. You must remove all blocks while you race against time and gravity!

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-match/id1148590693?l=da&ls=1&mt=8
Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.trisect.battlematch

Tower Inferno Challenge:
In this game you must rescue men from a burning tower. But beware that for each man you rescue the speed increases. See how many you can rescue.

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tower-inferno-challenge/id1151440045?l=da&ls=1&mt=8
Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.trisect.towerinfernochallenge

Both games are free.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#2]
Both games just show a black screen on my HTC One M8... :(

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2016) [#3]
I tested on different Android phone without any problems.
I'm working on updates so maybe it will work for you in the new versions.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#4]
I hope so. :) There's nothing special with my phone using Android 5.1.

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#5]
I read that there are around 500.000 games on ios/android. Pretty hard to be able to get noticed i reccon.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#6]
Those are old numbers. There are more than 2 million iOS apps and more than 2,2 million Android apps. Every day(!) more than 1,000(!!) apps are being added. Do the math! ;)

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#7]
Holy cow!

I noticed a tweet yesterday discouraging indy development and directing to a regular job. Must be because of those numbers.

That and the news that in the future programming wil not be required becourse training computers to make/do things wil be the thing.

Not to sure about the future..,

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#8]
Well yes, making apps is getting easier every day with all these tools. You don't even need programming knowledge anymore. Just click everything together (e.g. PlayMaker for Unity).

You really need a niche to make some money, it simply doesn't make sense to try something like a match-3 puzzle or something similar. My current game is very niche (submarine) but will probably generate at least some 5 figures amount of $$$.

Soap(Posted 2016) [#9]
Make good games fast, but don't make crap fast.

Learn to make better art than programmer art. Or find a lofi style you can do that's appealing while also being simple. Details like sound and music matter. It's better to have simple ambiance than super grating, repetitive newbie midi sounding music. If your sound effects make ears bleed you would be better having no sound at all.

I remember years ago in the Dexterity forum gamedev days that people proclaimed it was impossible to make money with match-3 games. This was when Bejewled and its early "clones" were popular, and before the popular match-3 games on mobile of today.

The truth is that game designs which have worked in the past will still work in the future. Even game designs you feel are too saturated. But people don't respect these games, and so produce crap with a pessimistic attitude. Then it's no wonder their games get only a handful of players.

There are tons of apps released but 99.9999% is pure crap!

There are things like building up and maintaining e-mail newsletters that so few people do. It's extra work, but it is things like this which are completely possible to do and give you a competitive advantage. Not doing things like this? You should. It all adds up. Do better, ask yourself and others what you can do to do better.

Have a game that's fun but looks like crap? Get better art, republish as a new game. Honestly 99.9999% of the games I've seen made with monkey just look bad! Maybe 1-2 dozen look (and play) good out of everything. People are shallow, you have to do better.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#10]
Well said. Well said indeed. The problem is that due to all this crap you simply just get not noticed no matter how high quality your game is, especially in a high saturated niche like match 3.

Plus there ARE quite a lot high quality match 3 games out there which makes it even harder. ;) Not impossible though, but if you want to make money, there are much better ways/game types.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2016) [#11]
I have updated my Tower Inferno Challenge game so that it now has an online highscore leaderboard.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#12]
Ah well that's Unity, right? Hoped it would have been made with Monkey. :/