Monkey 2 V1.0.0 now available!

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Monkey 2 V1.0.0 now available!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#1]
http://monkey2.monkey-x.com/

Like Mark is saying in his blog, by no means it's 'finished' but I have been using it for weeks and I got a rough version of Pyro running and it is very stable and a lot of fun!

If you like it you can donate here or become a patreon

taumel(Posted 2016) [#2]
OS X binary?

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#3]
OS X binary?
I believe you will have to download the source and build your own copy for OS X and Linux. There is a link in the blog post (monkey2 site) which has the source for v.1.0.0. I just built it on Linux and all went well.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2016) [#4]
for OSX: open terminal, go to the scripts folder, then ./rebuildall.sh

taumel(Posted 2016) [#5]
The beauty of having a built version is that possible compilation issues are excluded. I remember that i tried out an earlier built and there were errors. This one compiles fine though (here) but you never know until you download/compile/look into the issues, ... a built version, except it doesn't work, is less hassle.

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#6]
for OSX: open terminal, go to the scripts folder, then ./rebuildall.sh

This worked for me.

BTW, I tried the new Ted2 and all but Mollusk also works well for MX2.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#7]
@Ted2, it looks nice but is pretty much under construction. You can't do basic stuff like select, copy&paste, ... the help system doesn't feel this good and helpful (like: dislike the design, tiring navigation, few connections, lacking meat).

skid(Posted 2016) [#8]
Ted 2 is the duck's nuts. I haven't had an OMFG moment this epic that I can remember since I first ran Blitz3D.

After fixing margins in the tree view I feel right at home.

Taumel: I think you are a little harsh posting your dislikes, it doesn't take a computer scientist to note that a functioning debugger and proof of concept native GUI were the priorities for this release.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#9]
Hmm, nah, i didn't comment on advanced functionality you're used to from other editors and i see the simplicity and a beauty in ted2 but things like copy&paste are essential. I wouldn't release an editor without. It just feels wrong and limited right from the start.

@help, it feels oldskool in a bad way (reminded me of a Netscape page) and too static, small room for the structure, lots of empty place for the content, it's not fun browsing through the content. I understand that coming up with a fresh idea on how to access and represent the help wasn't a priority but it's such things which can really make a difference (apart from the substance).

What was that OMFG moment about?

skid(Posted 2016) [#10]
I wasn't a big fan of the QT Ted or to be honest the MaxGUI MaxIDE but Ted2 for some reason really spins my propellor. I suspect it's the pure simplicity of it all.

After fixing up the margins in the tree view nodes I instantly felt right at home.

The clipboard uses control keys on all platforms so I mapped Mac style Key.Gui modifier support for added comfort.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#11]
I never disliked original Ted although I use Mollusc. I always thought its simplicity was ideal for beginning programmers. That's probably less of a target for Monkey 2 though.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#12]
I think Mollusk is not only for beginners.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#13]
If Mark enhances ted2 the right way (adding the essentials, plus a few handy advanced options and fixing bugs&glitches) it could easily turn into his best IDE.

MaxIDE was direct and fun but there were also a number of bugs (broken undo, saved prefs got lost, syntax highlighting wasn't reliable, ...). It was okay for smaller stuff or trying out things quickly. For anything else there is Sublime which is so good in many ways (often you only need a subset of its functionality but boy it flows so well. I never liked ted, it felt disconnected and cumbersome (no search through the help, copy&paste from help text to code didn't work, preferences saves got lost again, ...). It was in your way and i was fed up pretty soon. I once bought a third party IDE for Max. It was cheap but sucked badly and was discontinued later on as well. Lesson learned.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#14]
Actually, the Editor/IDE and F1-Help are very important for a complete package.

degac(Posted 2016) [#15]
Just saw the post about v1.0.0 and downloaded it immediately!
First of all, congratulations!
I compiled all the examples (in bananas) and everything works perfectly.

I looked at the local help - still basic, but something more than what I saw some weeks ago (ie: GetDebugStack)
Very handy the 'alias' implemented (ie: Alias FloatMap<V> : Map< Float,V > - very easy to remember and to type :D!)

The 'funny & interesting' things (to me of course) like Fibers don't have a single example (not checked online!)... I know there are posts around, but it would be great if it was included.

I'm still looking for commands like CurrentTime() and CurrentDate() - I don't know if they are implemented or not!

About the IDE... yes, it's a proof of concept.
It works but it lacks many 'standard' features (I noticed the lack of the X for closing a tab - you need to move to the menu, or the lack of a contextual menu)
I know that the GUI it's not native - but compared to MaxIDE it seems a back-step.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#16]
@skid
Btw. your vsynth example is nice.

skid(Posted 2016) [#17]
Cheers!

I think my OMG moment in Ted2 was realising it was ready to run on mobile or maybe it was the menus smelled like Amiga.

And that I could modify it easier and faster than an IDE I wrote myself.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#18]
"Ready to run on mobile" Ted2 or games built with MX2?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#19]
@degac -
I'm still looking for commands like CurrentTime() and CurrentDate() - I don't know if they are implemented or not!

The commands are in the Time class:

Namespace myapp

#Import "<std>"

Using std..

Function Main()
	Local time:Time = Time.Now()
	Print "Seconds = " + time.Seconds
	Print "Minutes = " + time.Minutes
	Print "Hours   = " + time.Hours
	Print "Day     = " + time.Day
	Print "WeekDay = " + time.WeekDay
	Print "YearDay = " + time.YearDay
	Print "Month   = " + time.Month
	Print "Year    = " + time.Year
	Print "time    = " + time.ToString()
End

degac(Posted 2016) [#20]
@therevills: thanks! I suspect docs needs a little improvements :) I could search for a long time without result... there's no evidence (in the doc) of the Class Time & its properties

ps:

Looking at the source code (std/misc/time.monkey2) what does it mean [b]@hidden[b/] this comment in the source
#rem monkeydoc @hidden Time class.
#end

Does it means the all the class & field are hidden during the doc building or what else?

Another question:
	#rem monkeydoc Overloaded compare operator.
	Time x is 'less than' time y if time x represents a time 'earlier' than time y.
	#end	
	Operator<=>:Int( time:Time )
		Return libc.difftime( _timer,time._timer )<=>0
	End

I understood that this is a new feature of MX2 about method overloading (in this case for time comparation < > or = )... but a working example of it would be nice :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#21]
Danilo said: "I think Mollusk is not only for beginners."

I agree - It is Ted that I meant was good for beginners because of its simplicity!

taumel(Posted 2016) [#22]
@skid
I think what i instantly liked about ted2 was its cursor colour (i would like it even more in high res, with a nice font and stuff). Somehow it doesn't remind me of the Amiga but once it will feel less like a V0.6 and more like a V1.1 i guess it will be fun.

We had quite some fun playing with four hands on the keyboard (qwertZ). :O)

GarBenjamin(Posted 2016) [#23]
Been a way a while... so Monkey X 2 is actually a thing. It's out and usable?! I'll have to check it out this coming weekend. How's the performance for web games with it?

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#24]
No compiling to html yet. Crowd moved over to the monkey site. The forum is active there.