Installing a new video card on Linux Mint.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Installing a new video card on Linux Mint.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#1]
@dawlane ... if you're out there. :)

I'm going to be installing a new Nvidia GTX 950 on my Linux Mint system. As far as I know if I am using the open source drivers I can just pull out my old Radeon 5770 and drop in the new GTX 950 and all should go well. It's my understanding that the open source driver will dynamically adapt.

Is this what I should expect? Hopefully if thats all I have to do I can then try the proprietary driver for the GTX 950 after the initial install.

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#2]
As long as the card is supported it should work out of the box.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#3]
^Awesome buddy.. Thanks!

I'm installing a Zotac GeForce GTX 950 AMP! which is supported (GeForce GTX 950) from what I've read. ;) The Zotac Geforce GTX 950 AMP! uses less power (90w) then the typical GTX 960 and benches at 90% of the GTX 960's performance.

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#4]
Just remembered. As your original card isn't NVIDIA. Then make sure that you have the nouveau drivers installed first or you will have to go into recovery to install them. You may get lucky if you haven't and the system will boot into the generic VESA driver. In recovery mode your drives will be mounted as read only. If you haven't got a multi boot system you have to hold 'SHIFT' before system boot to get into the boot menu.

When you make it to the recovery command line console. Use
mount -o remount,rw /
If your here and you have already got the kernel headers installed and the nVidia proprietary drivers downloaded. You may as well install them at this time. Or use
apt-get install nvidia-352
to get something

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#5]
^Thanks. I have the nouveau driver installed already as it is included as part of the Linux Mint install. I posted this all on the Linux Mint forum after your last post and it appears that as long as the nouveau driver is installed I should be able to just drop the new GTX 950 in and the kernel will automatically detect it and auto-load the driver. So fingers crossed. :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#6]
Yay, it worked. :D

I dropped it in and fired up the system and Linux Mint automatically detected it and used the open source driver. I then installed the Nvidia proprietary driver which works great. The only thing I had to change was the monitor refresh rate which for some reason was not defaulting to 60 FPS. Other then that everything is working well and I was finally able to capture some windowed Alien Phoenix video at 1280x720 60FPS which looked very smooth (still experimenting). The Zotac GTX 950 AMP! is a nice card and the factory overclock and other performance tweaks really make this card preform like a GTX 960. A really good card for budget builds or MOBA setups. It is also 'very' quiet and even in performance mode it makes little fan noise.

Thanks for the tips dawlane. :)