Cocos Creator BETA

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Cocos Creator BETA

Amon(Posted 2016) [#1]
I checked it out after receiving an email stating it was in Public Beta.

http://cocos2d-x.org/download

It's pretty cool. The editor is sleek and efficient to use. It is definitely being added to my arsenal of free opensource game makers.

Check it out guys.

As much as I like it, Cocos Creator cannot replace BRL products. My entire mind is filled with the joys and fun I have had over the decades using BRL products and learning to program games/applications etc.

Cocos Creator would have to literally contain a:

Function MakeGame( type:int)
If type = 1
MakeMultimillionPoundGame
EndIf
If type <> 1
MakeMultimillionPoundGameAnyway
EndIf
Return MillionsInCash
End Function

therevills(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks like a 2D version of Unity...

Do you know if the exporting of projects create "proper" native games or are they just web based on wrapped in an exe (etc)?

secondgear(Posted 2016) [#3]
Cocos2d-x was always c++ native. In the old(ish) days I made a game in Cocos2d-iPhone (which now became Cocos2d-ObjC). It has quite robust scene-graph based framework, and it is good to see how far it's developed since those days. Too bad I couldn't find MakeMultimillionPoundGame in the API.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#4]
You don't actually need that function. Amon left a disturbing amount of unnecessary code in the If blocks, and only the last line seems really needed.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#5]
Cocos2d-x was always c++ native

Yep, Cocos2d-x (C2D-x) is C++... but what I am confused about is with Cocos Creator (CC). CC's game engine is based on C2D-x but the scripts are Javascript and it talks about their Web platform.

Cocos Creator

Cocos Creator is a complete package of game development tools and workflow, including a game engine (based on Cocos2d-x), resource management, scene editing, game preview, debug and publish one project to multiple platforms.

For the first time we introduced entity-component structure and data-driven workflow to the Cocos2d-x family. With JavaScript, you can scripting your component in no time. The editor and engine extension is also made with JavaScript so you can make games and refine your tool in a single programming language.

Cocos Creator provides an innovative, easy to use toolset such as the UI system and Animation editor. The toolset will be expanding continuously and quickly, thanks to the open editor extension system.

In the publishing section of CC's doco it has the following:

* Publish -> Web
* Cocos Framework
* Publish -> native

http://cocos2d-x.org/docs/editors_and_tools/creator-chapters/publish/index.html

With the Web publish it creates a JavaScript web game, with the Cocos Framework it uses JSB technology to create "cross-platform release of original applications and Cocos Play smartphone web-based games"... and I'm hoping the native publishing creates a proper native (C++) game.

When (if) I can time I'll have to have a look...

maverick69(Posted 2016) [#6]
Cocos2D-JS creates native iOS and Android Apps.

On iOS SpiderMonkey is used to wrap the JS-Calls to native C++-Calls. The Renderer is also very fast and also uses auto-spritebatching and auto-culling.

Its fast as hell but the problem is that SpiderMonkey libs are over 20MB :(

So you either have to stick with pure C++ or you get a bloated game client ;)

Soap(Posted 2016) [#7]
>bloated game client
>20MB

What's the OTA limit now like 100MB for iOS and Android? 80MB budget is not so bad... and if you go over that you will have probably needed to go over 100MB anyway.