Raspberry Pi 3 is out.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Raspberry Pi 3 is out.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#1]

The Pi 3 is out. It has a 64bit quad core CPU and on-board WIFI and Bluetooth and only $35.00. Sweet!

muddy_shoes(Posted 2016) [#2]
Kind of annoying as I only recently bought a Pi2. On the other hand I don't see anything that makes much difference to me. The performance improvements are definitely worth having if you're using one as a computer but they don't suddenly make it suitable for a NAS build or for a full transcoding Plex server or anything.

The bluetooth/wifi could come in handy for creating little distributed home automation devices and the like though.

Difference(Posted 2016) [#3]
Bluetooth and builtin WiFi is great news.
I'll be getting one.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2016) [#4]
I bought a couple Pi2's for christmas, and this would've been real neat since I also had to buy bluetooth adapters to get wireless PS3 controller connectivity working. Since the Pi2's were gift projects, I might get the 3 for myself and go for a "Stock" look. The slight boost in speed might help emulation a "little", but maybe not so much. Otherwise, this kit seems most useful for places where it might be difficult to get ethernet connectivity to or where you might want BT connectivity (media centers, consoles, devices which interface with your phone, etc).

One concern I can see is that it can now draw up to 2.5 amps of power. There isn't a high demand for cheap chinese 2.5 amp micro-USB supplies yet, so finding a good quality one for the Pi3 may prove expensive. This is most important when you're taxing the main processor, like in emulation or gaming applications. A PSU for the previous gen will work (2.1 amps) but will likely be throttling what your Pi3 can really do.