GeForce GTX 950. Good Linux Support?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/GeForce GTX 950. Good Linux Support?

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

I'm hoping to catch dawlane's eye, but anyone who is in the know is welcome to comment. I'm looking for a new video card for my Linux Mint 17.2 system and I see some good deals on the Nvidia GeForce GTX 950. After my experience with Radeon on Linux I am quickly scrambling to get an Nvida card going with Linux Mint. Does the GeForce GTX 950 work well with Linux Mint? It's less expensive then the 960 and fits my budget. I am trying to get a system going that is going to exploit mojo2's goodies and have good compatibility with Linux.

By the way how long has the 950 been on the market?

Thanks,

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#2]
I'm also contemplating upgrading the my nvidia graphics card to a GTX 960. It will require installing nvidia's own drivers. Not something I would recommend for a novice as it requires disabling the desktop management service, which will have different names depending on the desktop being used. It will also require the kernel headers, purging the old drivers, modifying the default grub config file and black listing a number of drivers.

This is generally how you do it, but you have to do a bit of searching on the net to see if there are any issues.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
This is generally how you do it

Thanks. I will check into what is up in installing it. After dealing with AMD/Radeon I might have a good shot at getting a 950 up and running. My HD5770 suffers from several Catalyst bugs including a memory leak and broken links which I have fixed but still 2D is not accelerated (at least in my web browsers) (fixed). I read that AMD is dropping support for all video cards made from 2013 and before and that does not set well with me. So it's off to Nvidia.

Does Ubuntu have a propitiatory Nvidia driver within their repository like they do for AMD (FGLRX)? That would make it easier I bet.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#4]
Does Ubuntu have a propitiatory Nvidia driver within their repository like they do for AMD (FGLRX)? That would make it easier I bet.
Yes they do, but the drivers in the repository tend to focus on specific versions. The highest Linux driver from the repositories is 352.63, which does support GTX 900 series. It's also the version that nvidia's search selects for download.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#5]
Well awesome. :)

I am going to embrace this and rise to the challenge. Simply because I will not live in windows anymore. :) Searching around I can see your point on the difficulties associated with Nvidia's driver (non-ubuntu repository).

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#6]
Well upgrade to ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX950 OC Edition complete. No problems to report so far.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#7]
Well upgrade to ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX950 OC Edition complete. No problems to report so far.

Just wondering if you used the Ubuntu repository driver for this (as described above)? I went to record a video and realized the last update for FGLRX is failing in 2D acceleration again (AIGLX error) and I can't seem to find a fix. AMD just sucks for Linux.

Edit: I actually got it fixed (xorg.0.log says it's working) I think but still, time for a new V-card.