Blackmail with hacked patreon data

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Blackmail with hacked patreon data

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi there

Any other person received today an Email from a person, who wants leak your information?
Unfortunately your data was leaked in the recent hacking of the Patreon web site and I now have your information. I have your tax id, tax forms, SSN, DOB, Name, Address, Credit card details and more sensitive data. Now, I can go ahead and leak your details online which would damage your credit score like hell and would create a lot of problems for you.

If you would like to prevent me from doing this then you need to send 1 bitcoin to the following BTC address.

Bitcoin Address:
1QAQTyhCzAfvp8uLpneBNamWTNRR1hx9Cp

You can buy bitcoins using online exchanges easily. The bitcoin address is unique to you. Sending bitcoin takes take, so you better get started right now, you have 48 hours in total. cmille32@... has shared an article with you

I go next week to Police Office and make an "display". I blocked my credit card.

Good Luck to everyone

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#2]
They probably don't know anything but your email address. Patreon claims it does not store credit card numbers, but who knows.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#3]
It's a scam.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fallout-from-the-patreon-security-breach/

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#4]
I would never pay, but for security reason i blocked my credit card.
I don't know what patreon saved for data. but https://haveibeenpwned.com says:

Patreon: In October 2015, the crowdfunding site Patreon was hacked and over 16GB of data was released publicly. The dump included almost 14GB of database records with more than 2.3M unique email addresses and millions of personal messages.

Compromised data: Email addresses, Payment histories, Private messages, Website activity

Arjailer(Posted 2015) [#5]
The email claims to have my credit card details, but I used PayPal so Patreon never had my CC details - it's a bullsh*t phishing scam.

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#6]
hmm at my time, it wasn't able to pay with paypal there :/

Soap(Posted 2015) [#7]
They never stored full CC information.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#8]
It's a scam, they are hoping people panic and sent them something out of fear.

The link posted above has someone saying they got email from the Patreon CEO which stated the following.

I learned yesterday evening that some Patreon users have been receiving a scam email. The sender claims to have the recipient’s SSN, credit card number and other personal information. I want to assure everyone that the claims in this email are false, and we are already working with federal law enforcement. Do not reply to the email—it is a scam. The tax forms we store are securely encrypted with RSA 2048-bit encryption, and we do not store full credit card numbers.

If you receive this email I suggest you flag it as spam and ignore any further emails. Do not reply.

Thanks.

Jack Conte, CEO/Co-founder, Patreon

I have not received it myself yet, but assume it will be going to all users soon.

edit: I lied, it was sent to me on the 21/11.

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#9]
Thank you for sharing this information, it would have been better if he had learned it before and published some informations :D

btw. i receive a new credit card, only for security reasons...