Greenlight - Chef Solitaire: USA

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Greenlight - Chef Solitaire: USA

therevills(Posted 2015) [#1]
We are trying our luck again with Steam and put Chef Solitaire USA on Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=540637352

It would be great if you could give us a Yes! vote and a comment :)

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#2]
Voted! Good luck.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#3]
I'm not a fan of these kinds of games at all in fact I think I could happily say I hate them, but saying that I can totally see the hard work and skill that's gone into making it so it's got my vote as well, hope it works mate, will also pass word around my small group and see if I can get some of them to vote it as well.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks Why0Why :)

@Paul - Thanks for the support, even if you dont like these games :)

Can I ask why you nearly hate them?

CGV(Posted 2015) [#5]
Voted and commented!

You say you're trying your luck again. What else did you put up on Greenlight?

therevills(Posted 2015) [#6]
Voted and commented!

Thanks CGV :)

What else did you put up on Greenlight?

A few months ago we tried with Legends of Solitaire: Curse of the Dragons:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/399040/

GarBenjamin(Posted 2015) [#7]
I also don't like these kind of games. In fact I probably have the same view of the genre as @Paul - Taiphoz does.

Still I just voted for the same reason Paul mentioned. I wouldn't buy it for myself but I would gift it to family and friends who do play such games simply because it is obvious you put a lot of care and time into building the game.

For me it is just "not my cup of tea". I usually pass over them because they seem boring to me. Only because I want action and adventure. Some power ups. Some destruction. Controlling a player character and interacting with a game world.

So it's not that there is anything wrong with your game or the genre as a whole it is just that each person has certain genres they prefer and others they aren't into. This genre seems great for casual game players and your game definitely seems like an excellent example of how to make a top notch game for that market. I hope it does well for you!

therevills(Posted 2015) [#8]
Thanks for the support Gar Benjamin, I know these type are games arent everyone's cup of tea but lots of people do like them :)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#9]
Hi All,

Chef Solitaire: USA is up for awards this year at All About Casual Game Best Match 3 & Puzzle Game:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2467561/All-About-Casual-Game-Best-of-2015

Please vote if you liked our game :)

Also if you could vote at the IndieDB one too that would be awesome!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/chef-solitaire-usa

Thanks,
Steve

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#10]
Voted InieDB. GL :)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#11]
Thanks Richard :)

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#12]
Voted! Looks interesting and very professional. :)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#13]
Cheers Rieha!

Arabia(Posted 2015) [#14]
Don't mind solitaire type games, but not something I would pay for. Gave you a yes vote, hope it works out for you. The game certainly looks very polished.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#15]
Thanks Arabia :)

therevills(Posted 2015) [#16]
We got an email from Steam this morning:

What a great way to start the New Year!

Thank you to all that voted!

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#17]
Congratulations! Don't forget to tell us later about how it all went :)

therevills(Posted 2016) [#18]
Cheers :)

We've been trying to go thru the Steam checklist over the past couple of days, but we've a had family emergency with my MIL and had to sort her out. We'll get there though in the end :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#19]
Congratulations! Don't forget to tell us later about how it all went :)

Ditto! :D

therevills(Posted 2016) [#20]
All approved by Valve :)

Release next Friday:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/432190

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#21]
Congrats!

TheRedFox(Posted 2016) [#22]
Superb!

Arabia(Posted 2016) [#23]
Congratulations. Who did the graphics for you and how costly was it if you don't mind me asking?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#24]
Thanks all :)

Who did the graphics for you and how costly was it if you don't mind me asking?

A company called Retro Style Games. For all the graphics in the game the final figure was $20K USD.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#25]
Holy #$@ยจ%!... 20k for graphics? And people still call it "indie games" O_o

I never had a budget like that for the entire game... :(

therevills(Posted 2016) [#26]
At the time of payments (it was staged) the Aussie dollar was dropping like a dead frog which meant we had to pay more too :(

RSG are a full team of artists and work pretty quick, you can hire solo artists for a lot less but of course it will be slower.

Arabia(Posted 2016) [#27]
WOW! 20K.... But with only seeing the slideshow and video of the game, you'd have to be pretty happy with the result for the dollars spent. I know my art work skills, and I look at some of these games and am blown away at the quality of the graphics, good to know just how much good work is worth. I think I posted elsewhere that I'm currently hooked on Cooking Fever for iOS/Andriod - the game in my mind wouldn't be overly difficult to reproduce, but what really makes the game is the awesome visuals. The game play is fantastic and well balanced, but with ugly artwork and UI I wouldn't have played it in the first place.

I'm sure I picked up that your were a fellow Aussie somewhere else, but totally forgot about it until you mentioned the AUD. Thank your lucky stars really, talk is the dollar is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#28]
Oh, don't even talk to me about dollar convertions... When I went to Casual Connect (2014), 1USD = BRL2.92 -- today? 1 USD = BRL4 (BRL stands for "Brazilian Real"). Couple that with increasing energy costs (something like 45-55% more or less last year, and already 15% higher this month!)... it's becoming really difficult to be an indie developer here in Brazil :(

Things here got to a point where we all joke that the only booming business is the "for" - "for rent" and "for sale"... :P

Back on topic: The graphics on the game are great. I'd say it was money well spent :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#29]
But when you are selling your stuff, you will be hoping the dollar goes even higher!

tiresius(Posted 2016) [#30]
20K sounds like a lot of money to me, you must really be making a living with your games. Very impressive !

therevills(Posted 2016) [#31]
But when you are selling your stuff, you will be hoping the [US]dollar goes even higher!

Yeah! LOL! Right now we are planning our next game so we want the AUD to go up a bit ;)

With previous games after a month of selling you normally make back what you put in (not including your time)... unfortunately with CS:USA its taken 3 months... CS:USA was our most expensive game to make, so for the next one we will be cutting the budget back quite a bit.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#32]
Go get your Chef hats on... its out NOW on Steam!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/432190

Also it would be awesome if you could retweet this tweet for us:
https://twitter.com/TheRevillsGames/status/688122423753834497

Arabia(Posted 2016) [#33]
Update? How are sales going with steam? Would be interested in knowing if your investment in the graphics is paying off - I'm sure they are, they really made a slick looking interface.

Soap(Posted 2016) [#34]
therevills, why not add Mac and Linux support? It takes some setup time, and they make less than Windows but the sales do add up.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#35]
Steam sales do help overall of course, but we've made more money on casual portals. Since CS:USA has been on Steam we've made 10% of the cost of the graphics... over the time selling on the casual portals we have made our money back though, so thats good.

Re:Mac - yeah its something I've been meaning to get around to doing, since we've already got a build. I need to add the Steam achievement code ..

Re: Linux, well according to the Steam survey its got less than 1% of the market and with all the things I want to do (and dont have time for them) the Linux builds are last on my list.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#36]
A little off-topic, but I was considering putting my "Heaven vs Hell" game on Steam... would you guys think it would be a good idea?

Soap(Posted 2016) [#37]
Mac is 4% of our total $ on Steam, Linux is 1%.
They are smaller, but they do add up over time, and once you get setup it should take less than an hour to make each build. If you only need to make the builds once it's probably worth it.
This is all a long term game as long as you are in for it long term. The games we all make could keep selling for 20+ years at least if not longer.
Even if money is lower on Steam I think investing into getting a library on Steam is worth it. They pay better (more fair % for devs), and they potentially will be the only online "portal" that lasts. In last few years casual portals were sold off / shut down. Steam is also friendly toward developers to allow you to build your direct customer base with your own e-mail list on Steam vs never allowed on casual portals so long term if you build a following there you are much more in control of making sure your next releases get attention. The only negative is that strictly casual games will rarely rank well on the top selling list no matter how well they are made, but you can still make decent money if you think strategically about what's possible with games on Steam.

Soap(Posted 2016) [#38]
SLotman, your games really need more polish and better graphics / sounds. If you paid or partnered with someone who could help you with that you would probably be making much more money with more appealing games. You could put all of your games on greenlight and just let them passively accumulate votes. Anything that gets passes greenlight may be worth investing some into polishing more (or even changing theme to something more mass market). You WILL get brutally harsh comments from people no matter what so you need the thick skin to ignore it / mostly not respond to it because if you do respond you could just incite trolling.

By the way, this is a bad idea to use a big company's graphical IP in this way

therevills(Posted 2016) [#39]
@Soap - Yeah, totally know what you are talking about. It's just a time limiting factor, I work full time in a "proper" job and its hard to do everything I want to do. What are your games on Steam?

@SLotman - All you can do is try, especially if you have already paid the $100USD Greenlight fee. There are "faster" ways to get Greenlit, than just doing it passively... have a look a Groupees. Oh and regarding graphics etc there are some shocking looking games which have got Greenlit!

ratking(Posted 2016) [#40]
Getting greenlit / on Steam isn't the big obstacle anymore it once was. Actually selling your game, now that is hard (been there, done that).

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#41]
Thanks for your opinions guys :)

I know most of my games needs better graphics - but that's all I can do having no budget to make them :/
Heaven vs Hell I did have a budget, well spent on backgrounds - and it shows an improvement (IMHO) over my previous games.

As for that image... its been on my site for ages (since 2009?), I did it just for fun and even forgot it was there! heh

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#42]
The Heaven vs Hell graphics look fine by mobile standards anyway (or maybe I just have a thing for cute nuns). Maybe PC users are more demanding, but I guess gameplay would count more.