BlitzMax is Open Source now.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/BlitzMax is Open Source now.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#1]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=105045

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#2]
Just saw this. Pretty cool stuff...still remember back when it was still brand new and shiny.....

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
Oh, wow!

More reasons to Patreon Mark. :) Also good for BlitzMax and probably extends it's shelf life.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#4]
Patreon barely budged an inch.

I don't know what benefit this gives BRL other than simplifying product support ... but people over in the other forums seem happy about it.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#5]
All Blitz products open source. MX2 will be open source from the beginning, supported by the community. Looks like only MX1 is missing. :)

Maybe making MX1 open source (completely) immediately could help Patreon and grow the world-wide community faster than anything else?
May depend on monthly sales Mark gets with MX1.
Mouth-to-mouth advertisement for the super-multi-platform, free and open source project could help. And spreading the news at websites and
old-fashioned paper computer magazines.
Who will pay for MX1, after MX2 was announced as being free and open source anyway? Maybe people are just waiting for MX2 instead paying for MX1 now?

I hope when MX2 is ready and useable, old Blitz3D/Max users join it, too. People of the world: unite and join the MX2 community! :)
MX2 brings BMX to even more platforms, with new/enhanced/modernized syntax and features. (Hopefully) 32- and 64-bit where it makes sense. And OpenGL/ES. ;)

What do you think?

degac(Posted 2015) [#6]
Or another scenario: BMX-NG (the 'version' developed by Brucey based on the idea of Monkey translator for other alien target as Android/Iphone etc) will take over on MX1 and MX2.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#7]
Does BMX-NG support a more modern syntax and MX2 features? I think Brucey wants BMX compatibility generally,
while Mark is moving forward with every product (version) and enhancing the syntax, making it more nice and powerful -
even changing syntax slightly and not depending on old compatibility issues. Every new version is based on things
he learned (experience he got) with the old products. I clearly see progress when looking at all products,
and I see how Mark evolved over the years.

Personally, I think the old 'Type'-based system is just ugly. I prefer the newer 'Class'-based system, and I don't know
what Brucey can make better than what we discussed about MX2. Pointers, Lambdas, Templates, Multi-line statements,
easy and clean imports, ... MX2 has it all. And, being completely open source from the beginning, it should be possible
to enhance it even more, add new libs and targets, etc.

The enhancement of BMX may come a bit late. A few years too late, actually.
Why not join and concentrate on MX2 instead? It will be open source right from the start,
should have all of BMX's features (and more), and will be available for more platforms.
The more people concentrate on, and contribute to, one project, the better and faster it gets enhanced.

degac(Posted 2015) [#8]
I don't know Mark's reason about MonkeyX/MonkeyX2... probably the enjoy of creating/implementing something new (I must exclude at this point the economic factor...).
Surely he moves from building 'tool for newbee' to 'tool for more advanced user'. A choice, nothing bad with it.
I can just say that BlitzMax userbase is not moved en-mass to MonkeyX, so there is still a 'market' (not the correct word at this point since BMX is open-source) to satisfy.
Offering the possibility to compile the programs written in BMX - without or with few changes, with a well-know language - to run on 'alien' system (like Android, iOs etc) is *probably* what they really want (despite the Advanced OOP, syntax and so on).
Some 'final user' are not so interested in the language features itself, they just want a tool to use for their own goals.
Final point, BMX-NG is *quite* ready and working... while MX2 is still a WIP (very bad time choice to release BlitzMax as opensource in my opinion, it would be better to wait the launch of MX2...)

IMO Mark has understimated the 'value' of BlitzMax itself (as language AND dev-environment ready-to-use).

In any case, we'll see what happen.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#9]
Are there any good 3rd party IDE's for BlitzMax /Mac OS X?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#10]
You could have a look at http://www.blide.org/ but I think it is for Windows only!

Made by Ziggy.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#11]
Yes, it's not for Mac OS X. I have BLIde, and I know I could run it in VMware. Thanks anyway, Playniax.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#12]
Molusk and Jentos 1.3.1 come into my mind.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#13]
I think grudlux (Mollusk) said he doesn't want to add BlitzMax support.
Does Jentos support BMX highlighting, compilation, etc.?

Samah(Posted 2015) [#14]
@Danilo:
Jungle works fine in Parallels, so I imagine BLIde would too.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#15]
I know Samah, it should also work with VMware. I'm just asking if there are alternative native Mac OS X IDE's for BlitzMax.
Haven't found something good until now. Something like Mollusk would be fine.
It's just that I prefer MacOSX apps on MacOSX, and use Linux and Windows in VMware only if really necessary.
Almost all multimedia apps (Sound, 3D graphics, etc.) I bought for Windows over the years are also available natively for Mac OS X,
so I don't need to use VMware with Windows very often (Win10 is scary anyway, in my opinion).

If nothing is available yet, writing a small cross-platform IDE for BMX+MX+MX2 could be fun... just wanted to check out if I did miss
something before.