Help with translations needed

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Help with translations needed

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi guys! The game I've been working on for an eternity, Ookujira, is almost ready and I'd like to localize it before launch. Languages I'd like to get implemented are chinese (simplified & traditional), french, german, italian, japanese, korean, portugese, russian and spanish. Plus english and finnish but those are already covered by me. I've set up a project on ackuna.com. It will probably take a lot of time to get the translations if I'm not begging people to help, which is what this post is about. :) If you'd like to help another Monkey X game to get published and maybe even popular, great! Here's the link to project page:
http://ackuna.com/translate-/ookujira/

If you've not already registered there, consider using this referal link (I'll get credits to promote the project) :
http://ackuna.com/?refid=8168

And if you'd like to help but don't want to register on Ackuna, you can also mail the translations straight to me: rieha@...

Take a look at the game here:
http://www.ookujira.com

If for some strange reason you want to translate your own game to finnish, I'd be glad to help. :)

Thank you!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#2]
Count me in on the german part (tomorrow)!

degac(Posted 2015) [#3]
Quick question: what is the 'gates mode' game... ? Gates means (in italian) 'cancelli'.. but I have no idea how to play... so the translation could be ... strange :)

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks Xaron & degac! You're the best! There's two gameplay modes in the game at the moment. Arcade mode is the default one in which you fight the aliens. In gates mode you just try to jump through randomly generated gates (pairs of hovering robots). It looks nicer already, but here's a short video to demonstrate it: https://instagram.com/p/42z5ebRWfi/
Not sure if that's a good name for the mode, but didn't come up with anything better.

degac(Posted 2015) [#5]
Hi
I wrote the italian translation following the idea of 'gate' like 'door' / entrance.
To be honest from the image you posted I don't understand there's a gate to jump trough... I will add some sort of laser beam between the two flying robots (in different colours to see if you activated or not it).

I think the correct term should be 'SLALOM' - it's quite international and well known.

In any case I find very funny the idea & the animation of a whale jumping around!

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#6]
I actually considered slalom to be the mode name. And yes, there's laser between the robots in up to date version.
slalomgate.png
Laser turns off when the gate/??? is passed.

I'll probably change the name, thanks for the suggestion! I'll just have to ponder it first for a few minutes with a cup of coffee. :) Anyone; if there's other opinions on this, speak now or be forever silent!

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#7]
"A course is constructed by laying out a series of gates, formed by alternating pairs of red and blue poles. The skier must pass between the two poles forming the gate, with the tips of both skis and the skier's feet passing between the poles."

That's how Wikipedia describes slalom. I think I'll leave the mode name as it is after all. Maybe there's a better italian term for the gates here:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slalom
Porte?

Anyway, great work with the translation!

I noticed there's same word used for LEVEL (29) and STAGE (46). They should be different, since level is a place (country, city, moon, whatever..) and stages are small parts of that level. For example the first level is Japan and there's unlimited amount of random stages on it. Maybe STAGE should be LIVELLO, and LEVEL something else... esterno, localizzazione, posizione? Huh, long words! I prefer esterno. :D

Edit2: Decided to keep LEVEL as level and changed STAGE to zone. Zona in Italian? :)

degac(Posted 2015) [#8]
Hi
well in Italian slalom is immediately understandable, calling it 'gates mode' it sounds quite strange.
PORTE - even if used for the slalom - is the translations of DOORS, the meaning (even visually) is completely different.
I would keep CANCELLI (maybe LASER GATES / CANCELLI LASER is better!).
I was thinking that a laser beam between 2 robots could be interpreted like a danger... I think the best solutions is just to put a sort of slide-show the first time you play that mode :D so the use knows what to do!

About the translation: some words were already translated, probably I didn't notice them.
LEVEL=LIVELLO
STAGE=ZONA
are the correct translations.
Cheers

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#9]
Cancelli laser sounds cool, but shorter term looks better in the UI... And as you said, slalom is quite international term, so slalom it is.

You're right, a laser beam really does look dangerous (and it is in arcade mode, although looking different) so clear instructions are a must. I have an animated tutorial which appears when first starting the game, but showing just the relevant help for the current mode when needed is a better solution and easy to add.

If there were some translations already done, I'd be happy if you could check if they're correct and edit them if necessary. Thanks - you're really helpful!

Phil7(Posted 2015) [#10]
Hi,
I just did the german Translation. Some Expressions might be not fitting well, because I didn't look up all the context and I'm not quite shure about the style of language i.e. do you prefer really correct and polite german or just the way, you would talk to a good friend. For now I just wrote average correct german, but avoided some stiff expressions.
Phil

Rieha(Posted 2015) [#11]
Excellent, thanks Phil7! Relaxed style of language is fine, as the whole concept of the game is stupidly silly. If there's some particularly odd expressions, I can explain the context in detail, but it's already been a big effort to translate all the texts so I'm happy. :)

33% of everything now translated. This is going smoothly so far!