Nobuyuki(Posted 2015) [#2]
Wrong forum

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#3]
My take would be more in the lines of:
C++

C#/Java:

Python:

BlitzMax:

(tiny one, but maybe the best of its own kind)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#4]
Not really a language but... Unity :)

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#5]
@Playniax: Is that Monkey 2 dominating any other language? XD

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#6]
Could be!

JoshKlint(Posted 2015) [#7]
The point I am trying to make is that BMX often gets dismissed by the BRL community itself because C++ can do everything BMX can and more. Even Mark has this attitude.

The value of a tech product isn't what it can potentially do in the hands of someone who knows how it works and has an infinite amount of time to spend with it. If that were the case Linux would be the most popular OS.

Languages like C# / Java / etc. are designed with a cynical attitude like "programmers are too stupid to manage their own memory, let's add a slow fail-proof garbage collection system", and "You like namespaces? Here, have all the namespaces in the world!".

BlitzMax is great because it has about the same capabilities and results as C++, with an order of magnitude less hassle. Just setting up a simple utility with BMX is a breeze, but with C++ it takes forever, unless you already have a lot of custom code you can plug in. And then you're crafting your own user experience, which means you can't easily share code or rely on common bits of functionality like BMX has.

People denigrate MaxGUI, but there's literally nothing else out there as easy to set up and use. They say "Oh, QT has all that" yet no one can actually use the thing. I can't even install it, on my 20 mb connection it has an hour left to download. That's the definition of bloat.

Monkey especially should have taught Mark there is a difference between potential capabilities and actual usability, due to the difficulty of setting up all the third-party build tools.

Like my example above, the F1 car is the highest performance possible vehicle, but it's complicated and expensive to maintain. You could not commute to work in an F1 racer. The Tesla is fast and maintenance is extremely simple.

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#8]
Languages like C# / Java / etc. are designed with a cynical attitude like "programmers are too stupid to manage their own memory, let's add a slow fail-proof garbage collection system", and "You like namespaces? Here, have all the namespaces in the world!".
That makes no sense.

taumel(Posted 2015) [#9]
According to ziggy's pictures i would be into C++ and Python.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#10]
JoshKlint: They say "Oh, QT has all that" yet no one can actually use the thing.

It also laughs in your face if you have a graphics tablet plugged in. You get an error dialog when you start up any Qt application (Kdiff3, TortoiseHg, Battle.net, etc.)
It's been there for years and the Qt developers have basically said "suck it."

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#11]
Isn't unity like...C# or something?

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#12]
Monkey j/k :)

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#13]
Isn't unity like...C# or something?
Yes and no. Unity uses Mono and MonoTouch as its backend compiler, which compiles for the .Net framework on Windows desktop, for mono on MacOs, for a C++ target on websites (compiled to JS at a later stage using Emscripten), and compiled to native C++ for both Android and iOS.

As it uses Mono and MonoTouch, bindings for C# are "automatic" so that's the usual language of choice, but you can also use JavaScript or Boo. I *think* monoTouch also enables static compilation against LLVM, not sure how finished this is.

JaviCervera(Posted 2015) [#14]
As it uses Mono and MonoTouch, bindings for C# are "automatic" so that's the usual language of choice, but you can also use JavaScript or Boo
Hasn't Boo been removed from Unity 5?

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#15]
Hasn't Boo been removed from Unity 5?
Ah, yes, I totally forgot. I thought it was used by less than 1% of Unity developers, or the like, not sure how it all ended

taumel(Posted 2015) [#16]
In U5, targeting desktop, you can code (sorry, click & drag) in C#, UnityScript and Boo. They've removed the easy create Boo-script entry and the docs don't cover Boo anymore. Yet, as UnityScript is related to Boo, it will remain there and is exported every time you use UnityScript too.

Whatever, i thought there would be some more new cars in here.