Vulkan API

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Vulkan API

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#1]
Well I have seen nothing posted, so I thought I would be first!

This is sounding like what we really need, cross platform hardware independent low level graphics driver for modern GPU's. I wonder if Mark will give us a module once its released fully. They say it is "harder" to use (then OpenGL) but only in the sense of getting a hello world triangle on screen.

Valve have been showing off a cool looking debugging tool called GLAVE. Sort of a SQL Profiler for Vulkan API.

They have also have a SPIR-V, a unified shared Shader language for different GPU's.

I guess the name was because of you know who passing off this mortal coil.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#2]
@Shagwana:I guess the name was because of you know who passing off this mortal coil.

If I recall correctly, this tech was announced within a day of his death, so I think it was just a coincidence. I doubt they would have done a name change that quickly.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#3]
Originally this was going to be called NextGL, maybe they planned on 'offing' the fella so the name would have resonance!.

Joking aside, specifications have yet to be released but I have seen talk of people implementing OpenGL on top of Vulkan so the easy route could remain.

GDC2015 notes and talks are popng up online for those who want to know more.