Sprite DLight

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Sprite DLight

werton(Posted 2014) [#1]
Take a look at this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2dee/sprite-dlight-instant-normal-maps-for-2d-graphics
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340326626
I think it will be more interesting than Sprite Lamp. What do you think?

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#2]
Can we use this in Mojo ? It looks like it requires shaders.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#3]
That looks really nice!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#4]
Looks similar to Sprite Lamp:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/finnmorgan/sprite-lamp-dynamic-lighting-for-2d-art

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#5]
Similar, but this tool promises to, at least partially, automate away the step of creating light source shaded images that Sprite Lamp requires.you to do by hand. I'm sure the algorithm will fail on some things but if it does a half decent job then it's a fairly large time saver and possibly avoids paying an artist to produce them.

Deee(Posted 2014) [#6]
Hey guys, Sprite DLight creator here.

I'd like to point out the difference to Sprite Lamp:
For Sprite Lamp, you have to draw 2-5 lighting profiles by hand, which are then combined to a normal map.
Sprite DLight only needs a sprite as the input image, and it creates the normals automatically.
Of course, the result is not as perfect as it can be with hand-painted maps, but as muddy_shoes pointed out - it saves a lot of time and the result is in most cases pretty impressive.

The most important capabilities of the tool are summarized in this infograph:

To use real dynamic lighting with normal maps, you need a shader.
But if you just want to use pre-rendered sprites for different environments, you can make use of the re-rendering feature, which has been introduced with the 3. stretch goal.

All stretch goals of the project are already reached, and the campaign will end next week on Friday, so there's 7 days to jump in and get it at the Kickstarter backer price and to participate in the beta.

skape(Posted 2014) [#7]
Aaaaand... lack of shaders is the big thing I'm missing in Monkey (mojo)! :)
(Pre-rendered could be useful too, in some circumstances.)

Deee(Posted 2014) [#8]
Is there any chance of shader support in the future?

Just to let you know: The campaign is almost over now.
There are 24 hours left to get the tool at the Kickstarter backer price and to jump in for the beta.

"Skull Plant", ©2013 Kevin Chaloux (kaiseto.deviantart.com), normal map and dynamic lighting preview of Sprite DLight

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#9]
Mojo with shaders isn't officially in development any more but there is another project that aims to bring shader support to Monkey. Even without, it's still possible for someone to write/use a library that would support Sprite DLight output, it just can't be written in "pure" Monkey.

devolonter(Posted 2014) [#10]
Mungo (Monkey fork) will support shaders with Harmony module. It is very close to the first public release and I’m sure that Sprite DLIght support can be implemented with it. In any case I backed your project, and I will look into it closer after I get beta version.

Deee(Posted 2014) [#11]
That sounds promising. Thanks a lot for your help, and for backing the project :)

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#12]
Congrats on all stretch goals being met in kickstarter. If my favorite language (Monkey) can eventually support shaders I will definitely look into your product.

devolonter(Posted 2014) [#13]
@Deee Thank you for your work and taking your time for writing post about the difference with Sprite Lamp here. Congrats with successful completion of the campaign!

Deee(Posted 2014) [#14]
Thank you guys :)
The Kickstarter is over and I am now fully concentrating on the first beta build, but I will check back here regularly.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#15]
First beta was posted in case anyone didn't know and it is neat!

The preview appears to only work well with pixel art and not painted textures with transparency?

Deee(Posted 2015) [#16]
The support for transparent sprites is pretty low in the first beta build. I have fixed the issues with semi transparent pixels in the preview, and I have added a lot of features, such as an option to use the transparency of the originial sprite for the normal map, too.
The second build will be released within the next two weeks.