Forum

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Forum

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#1]
Arg, spam attack! 😡

Any possibility that we could just install PHBB? We would have various Kaptchas, spam filtering, MUCH better forum features and be able to use TapaTalk.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
I did send an email to support about the latest spam attack, but it looks like Simon (or whoever got it) has missed a few that I didn't bring to their attention. This makes it 5 or 6 spammers in the last 6 months.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#3]
If they just use askimet to filter forum posts before they're posted

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#4]
Your solution is phpBB?
NO solution is EVER phpBB!!
phpBB is NOT a solution, unless the question is "Would you like to pull out the last remaining hairs from your scalp?"

I know that Monkey went Free, but doesn't the forum signup still require a valid BUID before entry?
That used to be plenty enough to block out spambots.

Could probably do with more admin/mods, though. That'd help.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#5]
I agree phpBB would mean even more spam. What works great is using Akismet services, or add a "report this" button to forum posts so we can remove forum posts.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#6]
I know that Monkey went Free, but doesn't the forum signup still require a valid BUID before entry?
I just checked and there is no field for entering a BUID.
One of those ask a question/answer things should stop spambots making an account. But it wouldn't stop a user from signing up to do a bit of phishing with "What's my website worth" and an external link to what appeared to be a site for a company that evaluates web sites, which happened about April and someone was not sharp enough to realise that someone was 'a phishing until I posted
New user.... First post asking to check out this website.... I think not.
Maybe my younger brother would... He was born yesterday.

I think that the best solution to stop spammers is good old fashioned eye balls. I don't think anyone at BRL is paying a lot of attention to the forums. It could do with a few more moderators to keep an eye on things.
If you do see any suspect posts; just send a message to support. The support page could also do with a simple anit-spambot question/answer just in case one is written to bombard the email server.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#7]
Just informed support of another spam attack. That's the second one so far this this month.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#8]
I was told by Simonh that an additional spam preventing system has been added to the site. Obviously, manual attacks are hard to track, but I hope we'll see this issue a let less often in the future.

degac(Posted 2015) [#9]
Another one is spamming all the forum...

Question:

it's is possible to add a button/link to consider a specific user (and his/her posts) as spam?
Technically the system will be based on other user (already registered): when they found something strange (and there are very few doubts when you find a spam-message) they click on the link/button.
The server takes a 'counter'... if the count is greater than X the user's post suspected of spam are 'hidden' and BRL/site mantainer is informed to check the thing.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#10]
I see that the spam bots are still at it. Two days in a row.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#11]
And here we go again.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#12]
Just fired off an email to Mr H to let him know. I think by now he must be getting a little tired of the Monty Python jokes by now ;-)

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#13]
Mr. H????

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#14]
Simon. I think his surname starts with an H. I can't remember who's who at BRL any more.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#15]
Ok. No I got it :-)

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#16]
I wouldn't say that I was suspicious, but when did the the site get a Russian mirror?
www.monkeycoder.ru

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#17]
long long time ago. Nothing wrong with it.

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#18]
I think some kind of CAPTCHA is required before signup and posting :)

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#19]
I think some kind of CAPTCHA is required before signup and posting :)
I did mention it to Simon about using a garbled CAPTCHA during sign up when reporting the spam attacks.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#20]
I wonder what goes on in the minds of these indian spammers. Do they really think we care about this crap?

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#21]
I think this has more to do with getting a high ranking on search engines. Anyone informed Simon yet? I'm usually awake at the time when the first of the spam starts.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#22]
The 'good' thing about this probably is that Monkey is linked a lot from other sites...

We started to get a lot of spam on our forums and only CAPTCHA was not working to well (unless it was almost unreadable). We eventually had to add questions.

k.o.g.(Posted 2015) [#23]
searched for gui:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/_search.php?bbs=&forum=&terms=gui&method=simple&case=no&user=