Selling on Android? You need to read this.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Selling on Android? You need to read this.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#1]
You will shortly have to provide your address to customers if you're selling on Google Play using IAPs.

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/18/google-play-now-requires-devs-to-make-their-home-address-public/

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#2]
As long as a PO box is accepted, I don't see it as a big deal.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]
As long as a PO box is accepted, I don't see it as a big deal.
It's quite a big deal for small developers who live in the UK, as a PO Box address will cost you at least £250/year, and over £300/year if you want them to deliver your mail instead of having to collect it. Plus you aren't likely to get much/any post because of this so the whole PO Box idea is just a waste of money.

I see no reason at all for Google insisting on adding developer's addresses.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#4]
I have to agree this is a terrible move by google, and it will in the long run hurt the small developers who work from home and who barely make any money at all from the work they do, meanwhile the big companies will not even bat an eyelid over this, its pointless.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#5]
Totally tinfoilhatty but you know they may be doing this on purpose to hurt small devs. From their perspective, they may see it as a way to remove more of the noise from their store. Apple's yearly cost works like this too, because many devs make so little they don't see the point and so let their apps get pruned. Google doesn't have a yearly cost, so this is a way which may or may not be intentional for this to have a similar effect.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#6]
Totally tinfoilhatty but you know they may be doing this on purpose to hurt small devs. From their perspective, they may see it as a way to remove more of the noise from their store.
It's not tinfoilhatty (I AM going to start using this word) at all - it's probably closer to the truth than any other 'reason' they offer for doing it.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#7]
There is one thing that I think every one is over looking. Do you think that they will bother to check that the address being used is valid?

GfK(Posted 2014) [#8]
Do you think that they will bother to check that the address being used is valid?
If not, then why are they even bothering to do this?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Not that I am selling anything but I would assume that they would use the address linked to your google account, if they actually ask for a new address then you could just as easily stay at

1 Big Hold Ave
The Dark Side of the Moon.
The Moon

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#10]
I just got an email about the changes yesterday. However, they gave me no place where to agree to these changes! Perhaps it's because I made my only paid app on the market free a while back?

Anyway, I wanted to make this part of the email the focus point of my post:

We've updated the DDA acceptance model to be less disruptive to developers, and to allow us more flexibility as we rapidly introduce support for new product features.

does this mean that we don't need a dedicated address anymore for right now?