Android has bigger share than iOS on mobile

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Android has bigger share than iOS on mobile

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#1]
For the first time AFAIK, Latest July market share indicates that Android devices have a higher share trend, worldwide than iOS. Including iPADs.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustomb=1

I found this rather interesting.

Beaker(Posted 2014) [#2]
For completions sake:

http://opensignal.com/reports/2014/android-fragmentation/
Roughly 19,000 distinct android devices.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#3]
Fragmentation is all I hear on apple fan sites (I browse them for a laugh) appleinsider is the worst, its the fox news of apple news sites. Truth is over 80% of android devices are on version 4.x and most services are now pushed via google play services so are getting the important updates.

Its a good time to be a Droid as hardware specs are starting to level out meanwhile apple are starting to make waves with a whole bunch of new size devices 4.7" & 5.5" phones 12" ipad and and an iwatch.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#4]
I don't see fragmentation as a problem on Android. It's easier to code something working on a non fragmented platform, but it's harder to ensure your software will be compatible with future iOS devices because of the same reason.

For me, the interesting point on the analytics, is the actual trend on hardware adoption worldwide. Also, the fact that Microsoft has managed to duplicate its presence in a year is interesting, while they're still absolutely negligible as a platform on mobile devices worldwide (in Europe they have a much bigger share).

skid(Posted 2014) [#5]
I suspect it will be another 5 years if ever before android app sales gross more than Apple.

Or social networking will obliterate casual gaming with little revenue being spent on either platform.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#6]
I agree with skid. Apple users historically are more willing to spend money on software.