Assembly JS

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Assembly JS

consty(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello I am very curious to know your opinion about assembly js (the project is called asm.js).

I like the Browser/Javascript duo, it's proven to be effective, it's stable, it's very popular, very mature, not to mention that is accessible. The only downsides are a little of the speed, and most important your "code syntax safety".

In code syntax safety I mean that naturally your code is bare naked and accessible. If you would like to take some precautions and protect your important parts of your applications (I won't say "intellectual property" in fear of sound a bit of a snob). The best you can do about is to use a minifier or obfuscator that might help, still leave a bit some open holes since the code structure remains intact and with some sophisticated tools it could be easily reversed engineered.

However with assembly.js this looks like is no problem at all. Your code will look like this.

No more no less, good news is that Javascript execution gets so much faster, about "near native performance"!
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/06/google-updates-its-octane-javascript-benchmark-adds-asm-js-and-typescript-tests/

However one problem is that your code must be native and go through LLVM to become ASM.JS I don't know if there is a way to convert Javascript to ASM.JS at once.

Also I wonder if this would be cool direction for Monkey later.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#2]
I think it's a kludge

consty(Posted 2014) [#3]
This goes for both pros and cons.

The only negative I can think of, is the "maintainability".