Isometric game - 2d or 3d?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Isometric game - 2d or 3d?

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#1]
Dear all,

I currently scratch my head about if it would be better to create an isometric style game in 2d or better in 3d for mobile devices. What do you think would be the best options for that and why? Both have pro and cons.

Thanks!

dragon(Posted 2014) [#2]
Game like "Monument Valley" is 3D-ISO
If you have more flat tiles - use 2D

Samah(Posted 2014) [#3]
I don't understand the distinction here. Iso has always been a hack to simulate a 3d world with a 2.5d tileset.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#4]
Not always. You can have a isometric perspective on a 3D world. The biggest advantage of doing it in 3D is to be able to use plain textures to do the tiles - and you could also do some lighting with a bit of work.

Samah(Posted 2014) [#5]
Can you give me an example? Are you just talking about using an orthogonal projection matrix?

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#6]
It's just a camera angle. For example, look at "the Sims" - it's all 3D.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks guys for your thoughts!

The game will play in space, where you have some kind of a station which you enhance and build stuff on platforms. You will have ships to attack even though not masses of them.

Animations are a point which is a bit harder to achieve in 2d. I have a talented 3d modeller so doing everything in 3d might be much easier.

Cheers!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#8]
"I have a talented 3d modeller". I think that's the key. The choice is generally more about what sort of graphic resources you have access to than which technology is best.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yeah I think the same way. Still the question (for me) Monkey with Minib3d or Unity... Hmm... just thinking loud here. ;)