What video card should I choose?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/What video card should I choose?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have these 2 options:
- Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC PHANTOM, 2048MB, GDDR5, 256bit
and
- Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC PHANTOM II, 4096MB, GDDR5, 256bit

basically only the MB is bigger, and the price is with almost 50 USD more. what should I do?? I cannot find relevant tests regarding both video cards..

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#2]
Get the 2gb one, save the $50.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#3]
For the sake of $50, get the 4gb.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#4]
(Since there was a reply for both already, I'll be the third differently opinionated voice)
Neither. I hate nvidia because they rely on attempted "smart" designs which then make things like Folding@Home run like crap. If I were you I'd just get an AMD card, they're generally cheaper.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#5]
For $50 get the 4GB version.

Also compare reviews and benchmarks with the cards so you get the best value for money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542-12.html

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#6]
To follow up on my last post, this page shows what I was talking about: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542-20.html

I don't like when Toms Hardware compares high end video game performance on these cards because of nvidia's proprietary crap, like physX and CUDA, makes it a unfair in the review. I'm glad AMD hasn't gone down that road too much. About the only stupid crap they made was the fancy hair.

Also, what was the deal with bringing in the GeForce Titan but not AMD's 7990 which would have beaten it in those tests and for less money. That site has some mixed up benchmarking.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#7]
AMD is out of discussion in this particular case. I am an nvidia fan anyway.. I will make a decision later this day.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#8]
What is your budget Raul? And do you want to use it for (Gaming etc)?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#9]
long story short:
I have 'some kind' of voucher. I want to buy a phone for a friend of mine and one of this video cards. I can buy anything but I have to pay the difference. Those 50USD for example I should pay them.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#10]
I would save the $50 TBH, very few if any games at the moment will use more then 2GB video ram even at supr ultra texture resolution, also make sure you get the one with the free watchdogs game you could sell that for $30 easy.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#11]
A gtx760 isn't really enough to push a 4k screen or maxed settings, so the 4gb isn't needed. Better to save the money until a new card replaces it.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#12]
I take it back, I thought the card was for yourself.
As you have said you have a voucher and it is a for a friend - get the 2gb and treat yourself with the extra $50 (for being a good friend!) :)

PS. I wish I had friends like you that bought me phones and gfx cards lol!

mjcamerer(Posted 2014) [#13]
I have the 760 2GB, mine is a EVGA brand though. The 760 2GB is great and plays most new games at 1080p with ease. If you are going to be playing at resolutions higher than 1080p then I would recommend the 4GB version or a better card. The 760 2GB is perfect for anything at resolutions of 1080p and below, and most newer games play at 50-60 fps on max settings. I've also got a Intel i5 4th gen CPU and 8GB RAM for reference.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#14]
@rIKmAN: only the phone is for my friend.

@all: I decided to take the 2048 MB, one. Also I received the Watch_Dogs voucher. It's enough for my needs right now. Thanks you guys.